St. Elizabeth's Academy, Purcell, OklahomaFounded in February, 1888, one year before Oklahoma was opened to settlement and barely a year after Purcell was established as a junction point on the Santa Fe, St. Elizabeth is one of Oklahoma's most famous old schools. Money for the grounds, buildings and teachers was paid for by Miss Katherine Drexel of the wealthy Philadelphia Drexel family. She had become interested in educating the Indians through the efforts of Father Vincent Jolly, O.S.B. The school was under the charge of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Philadelphia Foundation, Mother House in Glen Riddle, Pa. These photos in this album were taken while the Payne sisters (Anna Laura, Fay, and Lois) were boarding students at the school, in the late 1920's and early 1930's. They were in Anna Laura Payne Strong's possession until her death in 2004, and are now in the possession of her son, Charles Strong.
St. Elizabeth's Academy, Purcell, Oklahoma, Established 1888; Students
Two students, Pauline and Velma, in the late 1920's to early 1930's, with Shep, the dog. Donna Barnard thinks that Velma, on the right, is her Aunt Velma (Janes) Bullock, born in 1915.
Proud member of the
Texas State Genealogical Society
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 9.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2013