Latitude: 29.768169, Longitude: -95.385366
The Glenwood Cemetery is located at 2525 Washington Avenue in Houston, Texas. It was the first cemetery in Houston to be professionally designed and opened in 1871. The cemetery is situated between Washington Avenue on the North side and Memorial Drive on the South side, the latter overlooking Buffalo Bayou.
Buried in the cemetery is William P. Hobby, after whom Hobby Airport in Houston, Texas, is named. In 1938, the William P. Hobby Airport in Houston, known at the time as Houston Municipal Airport, was re-named “Howard Hughes Airport,” but the name was changed back after people objected to naming the airport after a living person. This is also the location of pioneering heart surgeon Dr. Denton Cooley’s family gravesite. Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas, is also buried here.
This historic cemetery is the final resting place of a number of individuals who were citizens of the short-lived Republic of Texas. The grave sites of those individuals have been designated with metal markers and are frequently decorated with the flag of the Republic and State of Texas.
| Thumb|| Description|| Status|| Location|| Name (Died/Buried)|
Memorial Marker in Glenwood Cemetery, Houston, Texas
||Anson (Hon.) Jones, M. D. (d. 9 Jan 1858)