1892 - 1973 (80 years)
||Dorus William Benkelman [1, 2] |
||6 Dec 1892
||Elkland Township, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 2, 3]
||14 Feb 1973
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [2, 3, 4]
||Elkland Township Cemetery, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan 
- Cass City Chronicle
Friday, August 16, 1957
Re-elect officers at Farm Produce
Annual meeting of the stockholders of Farm Produce was held. The following officers were re-elected for another year: Joe Crawford, President, Audley Rawon, Vice President, D.W. Benkelman, Treasurer, and C.J. Striffler, Secretary.
Cass City Chronicle
Thursday, February 22, 1973
Services held for Dorus Benkelman
Dorus Benkelman, 80, of Cass City died Wednesday, February 14, in Hills and Dale General Hospital.
A lifelong area resident, he was born in Cass City December 6, 1893, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Benkelman.
Mr. Benkelman and Miss Jane STICKLEY were married November 2, 1943, in Detroit and the couple made their home in Cass City. She died April 7, 1960.
A retired banker, he was a member of Tyler Lodge No. 317 F&AM, the American Legion Post No. 507 and was a member of Salem United Methodist Church. He served with the Army in World War I.
Surviving are one sister, Mrs. Marie BROWN of Pigeon, and one brother, Alvin BENKELMAN of Elk Creek, Virginia, nieces and nephews.
A memorial service was held Friday evening at Little's Funeral Home under the auspices of Tyler Lodge. Funeral services were held at the funeral home Saturday morning with the Rev. Ira Wood, pastor of Salem church officiating. Burial was in Elkland cemetery.
||Strong Family Tree
||17 Aug 2014 |
||John Adam Benkelman, b. 26 Apr 1856, Bowmansville, Town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York , d. 8 Aug 1952, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 96 years) |
||Augusta Catherine Freidrika Krehl, b. 6 Mar 1870, Franklin Center, Lee County, Iowa , d. 8 Feb 1934, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 63 years) |
||19 Jun 1890
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 5]
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Hilda Jane Stickley, b. 21 May 1892, Brantford, Ontario, Canada , d. 7 Apr 1960, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 67 years) |
||2 Nov 1943
||Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan [1, 2, 6]
||4 Mar 2010 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Benkelman Cousins in the Sugar Bush, ca 1905|
L to R, Glen Benkelman, Alvin Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Ward Benkelman, and Dorus Benkelman, ready to "sugar" maple trees
Joe and Ward, in the center of the photo, were sons of Samuel Benkelman.
Glen, Alvin and Dorus were the eldest children of John Adam Benkelman, Sam's brother.
||Benkelman, Dorus ca 1911 on Sod Buster Day at Cass City High School with E.B. "Chick" Schwaderer and "Buck"|
Dorus is in the middle, with E.B "Chick" Schwaderer to his left and "Buck" UNKNOWN to the right. In a December 24, 1915 Cass City Chronicle article it was noted, "Wednesday was 'Sod Buster Day' at high school and several of the boys exhibited striking new ideas in male attire." As Dorus had graduated several years earlier, it appears this was an annual event at the High School, and this particular photo was taken at one of the earlier festivities. Dorus was a graduate of the Cass City High School class of 1912, and E.B. Schwaderer graduated in 1913.
PLEASE HELP US IDENTIFY "BUCK" BY HIS FULL NAME
||Benkelman, Dorus ca 1911|
Dorus in costume for Cass City High School's annual "Sod Busters Day" skits. This was a celebration of the settlement of the area in the 1860's, the Benkelman and Striffler families both being early pioneers in the region
||Benkelman, Adam and Anna Catherine (Schaufele) Descendants ca 1912 Family Reunion|
Back, Standing, l to r: Mae Benkelman, Kate Schwegler, John Benkelman Sr., Ester Ackerman Benkelman, Minnie Jesse Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Augusta Krehl Benkelman, Dorus Benkelman, Will Schwegler, Ward Benkelman, Ben Schwegler, Sam Benkelman
Middle Row, kneeling, l to r: Alvin Benkelman, Harold Benkelman, Ruth Benkelman, Marie Benkelman (standing), Lena Benkelman Schwegler, Barbara Rommel Benkelman, Louisa Benkelman Schwegler
Bottom Row, seated, l to r: Bertha Benkelman, Glen Benkelman, Ida Benkelman, Lottie Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Sr. behind his nephew John Donald Benkelman, Lois Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Jr., Alice Ross Schwegler with her baby Edward William Schwegler, and ,facing left, Mary Striffler Benkelman (Mrs. Sam)
(Legend Courtesy of Bonnie-Margaret Benkelman Jacobs)
||Benkelman, Dorus, ca 1918|
A photo taken of Dorus Benkelman in uniform during his service for the U.S. Army during the First World War
||Benkelman, Dorus William ca 1940's with his wife Jane (Stickley), hosting family at Jane's cottage in Prescott, Michigan|
John Adam Benkelman, with his sons Alvin and Dorus, and Dorus's wife, Jane (right) and two unknown individuals
PLEASE HELP US IDENTIFY EVERYONE IN THE PHOTO
||Benkelman, John Adam ca 1946|
John Adam Benkleman with his children and their spouses. Granddaughter Scottie Pritchard identifies those in the photo as follows: "My grandfather John Adam Benkelman front and center with is children and their spouses and I think 2 grandchildren. My parents, Benk and Olive, are on the left. Back row Alvin, Glen, maybe Bill, John's wife, John, maybe Marie's husband and Dorus. Front row Olive, Maude, John Adam, Marie and maybe Ruth her daughter?"
PLEASE HELP US POSTIVELY IDENTIFY EVERYONE IN THIS PHOTO.
- [S337] Benkelman, Hilda Jane Stickley THE MEMOIRS OF JOHN A. BENKELMAN (Privately Published, 1966).
- [S653] Cass City Chronicle, P.O. Box 115, Cass City, Michigan 48726, Published continously since 1899, archived from 1899 through 2005 at http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/, Thursday, February 22, 1973 (Reliability: 3).
- [S333] Ancestry.com - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current [database online], (Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011.
Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.
The Social Security Administration Death Master File contains information on millions of deceased individuals with United States social security numbers whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration. Birth years for the individuals listed range from 1875 to last year. Information in these records includes name, birth date, death date, and last known residence.).
- [S492] Peck, Edward Arthur THE TEN BENKELMANS WHO EMIGRATED TO AMERICA Ca. 1850s AND CERTAIN OF THEIR DESCENDANTS, 1982.
- [S1610] Jacobs, BonnieMargaret McDonald "The Family Benkelman" Unpublished Manuscript, 276 pages, October 1981 Version, (Copy owned by Barney Benkelman, Helena, Montana; which he xeroxed and sent to Melinda McLemore Strong in San Antonio, Texas), p. 133 (Reliability: 3).
- [S595] Striffler-Benkelman Broadcast, (Family Publication, published sporadically to record family milestones in connection with the annual Striffler-Benkelman Family Reunions, with Vol. 1, Number 1, published Sept. 7, 1936. Issues on file at the Rawson Memorial Library in Cass City, Michigan include Vol. 5 (1941), Vol. 7 (1944) and Volumes 8 (1945) through Vol. 28 (1968). Issues published from 1961 through 1964 were not assigned volume numbers, and 1963 appears to be missing. Xeroxes of the existing issues were also made by Melinda McLemore Strong in 2007. According to a article published by the Cass City Chronicle on August 6, 1981, commemorating the Fiftieth and Final Striffler-Benkelman Reunion, the final issue of the STRIFFLER-BENKELMAN BROADCAST appears to have been Volume 28, published in 1968.), Vol. 7, September 4, 1944 (Reliability: 3).