1891 - 1970 (79 years)
||Glen Frederick Benkelman [1, 2, 3] |
||20 Jan 1891
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 3, 4]
||26 Dec 1970
||Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Ohio 
||Elkland Township Cemetery, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan
- Glen Frederick Benkelman received his B.S. in Engineering from Purdue University in 1914.
Cass City Chronicle
Thursday, December 31, 1976
Train-car crash fatal for Glen Benkelmans
Glen F. Benkelman, 80, a brother of Dorus Benkelman of Cass City, and his wife, Maud, 80, were fatally injured in a train-car crash and died Saturday, December 26, at Lakewood, Ohio.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, December 29, at the Lakewood Presbyterian Church in Lakewood where the Benkelmans were members.
Burial will be in Elkland township cemetery, Wednesday, December 30.
Among the survivors are: a daughter, Mrs. Ruth SIMMELINK of Cleveland; a son, William, of Lakewood; a brother of Mrs. Benkelman who lives in Detroit, and of Mr. Benkelman, a sister, Marie BROWN of Pigeon; two brothers, Dorus, of Cass City, and Alvin, of Elk Creek, Virginia.
Ohio, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland City
Enumerated April 14, 1930
ED 18-276 SD 6 Sheet 23A Stamed 233
Benkelman, Glen Head m W 39 M 30 Mich Mich Iowa Engineer Structural, Carbon Plant
Benkelman, Maud Wf F W 38 M 29 EnglishCanada EnglishCanada EnglishCanada
Benkelman, Glen Son M W 6 S Ohio Mich EnglishCanada
Benkelman, Ruth Dtr F W 4 S Ohio Mich EnglishCanada
McFadden, Sarah Mother-in-law F W 70 Wd CanadaEnglish CanadaEnglish CanadaEnglish
||Strong Family Tree
||17 Aug 2014 |
||John Adam Benkelman, b. 26 Apr 1856, Bowmansville, Town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York , d. 8 Aug 1952, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 96 years) |
||Augusta Catherine Freidrika Krehl, b. 6 Mar 1870, Franklin Center, Lee County, Iowa , d. 8 Feb 1934, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 63 years) |
||19 Jun 1890
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 5]
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Maud McFadden, b. 9 Nov 1891, Brockville, Leeds and Grenville, Ontario, Canada , d. 26 Dec 1970, Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Ohio (Age 79 years) |
||18 Jun 1921
||Evanston, Cook County, Illinois [1, 2]
- Cass City Chronicle
Vol 7, Number 10
July 22, 1921
Married at Evanston
Miss Maude McFadden Is Bride of Glen F. Benkelman
On June 18 the marriage of Miss Maude McFadden and Glen F. Benkelman was solemnized at Evanston, Illinois in the presence of a few friends.
The bride's home has always been Evanston, where she attended Northwestern University. She also attended the University of Toronto, Canada.
Mr. Benkelman, who had many friends and acquantinces in Cass City, attended the Cass City schools, later obtaining training in electrical engineering at Purdue University and the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co., Pittsburgh, Pa. He is located in Chicago with Becker Bros., electrical engineers.
Mr. and Mrs. Benkelman will have their home at 529 Kedzie Street, Evanston, Illinois. After taking a lake trip of a few days, the arrived at the home of John A. Benkelman on July 5, and having spent a pleasant two weeks vacation, left for Chicago, Monday, July 18.
(Transcribed by Melinda McLemore Strong, Spring 2007)
| ||1. William "Bill" Glen Benkelman, b. 24 Nov 1923, Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Ohio , d. 28 Oct 1999, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio (Age 75 years)|
| ||2. Ruth Benkelman, b. 21 Mar 1926, Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Ohio , d. Dec 1986, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio (Age 60 years)|
||12 Sep 2008 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Benkelman Cousins in the Sugar Bush, ca 1905|
L to R, Glen Benkelman, Alvin Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Ward Benkelman, and Dorus Benkelman, ready to "sugar" maple trees
Joe and Ward, in the center of the photo, were sons of Samuel Benkelman.
Glen, Alvin and Dorus were the eldest children of John Adam Benkelman, Sam's brother.
||Benkelman, Adam and Anna Catherine (Schaufele) Descendants ca 1912 Family Reunion|
Back, Standing, l to r: Mae Benkelman, Kate Schwegler, John Benkelman Sr., Ester Ackerman Benkelman, Minnie Jesse Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Augusta Krehl Benkelman, Dorus Benkelman, Will Schwegler, Ward Benkelman, Ben Schwegler, Sam Benkelman
Middle Row, kneeling, l to r: Alvin Benkelman, Harold Benkelman, Ruth Benkelman, Marie Benkelman (standing), Lena Benkelman Schwegler, Barbara Rommel Benkelman, Louisa Benkelman Schwegler
Bottom Row, seated, l to r: Bertha Benkelman, Glen Benkelman, Ida Benkelman, Lottie Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Sr. behind his nephew John Donald Benkelman, Lois Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Jr., Alice Ross Schwegler with her baby Edward William Schwegler, and ,facing left, Mary Striffler Benkelman (Mrs. Sam)
(Legend Courtesy of Bonnie-Margaret Benkelman Jacobs)
||Benkelman, John Adam ca 1946|
John Adam Benkleman with his children and their spouses. Granddaughter Scottie Pritchard identifies those in the photo as follows: "My grandfather John Adam Benkelman front and center with is children and their spouses and I think 2 grandchildren. My parents, Benk and Olive, are on the left. Back row Alvin, Glen, maybe Bill, John's wife, John, maybe Marie's husband and Dorus. Front row Olive, Maude, John Adam, Marie and maybe Ruth her daughter?"
PLEASE HELP US POSTIVELY IDENTIFY EVERYONE IN THIS PHOTO.
- [S337] Benkelman, Hilda Jane Stickley THE MEMOIRS OF JOHN A. BENKELMAN (Privately Published, 1966).
- [S653] Cass City Chronicle, P.O. Box 115, Cass City, Michigan 48726, Published continously since 1899, archived from 1899 through 2005 at http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/, July 22, 1921 (Reliability: 3).
- [S564] 1930 United States Federal Census [Ancestry.com. database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002., (Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1930. T626, 2,667 rolls. Containing records for approximately 123 million Americans, the 1930 United States Federal Census is the largest census released to date and is the most recent census available for public access. The census gives us a glimpse into the lives of Americans in 1930, and contains information about a household’s family members and occupants including: birthplaces, occupations, immigration, citizenship, and military service. The names of those listed in the census are linked to actual images of the 1930 Census.), Ohio, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland City Enumerated April 14, 1930 ED 18-276 SD 6 Sheet 23A Stamed 233 3813-19-29 (Reliability: 3).
- [S333] Ancestry.com - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current [database online], (Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011.
Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.
The Social Security Administration Death Master File contains information on millions of deceased individuals with United States social security numbers whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration. Birth years for the individuals listed range from 1875 to last year. Information in these records includes name, birth date, death date, and last known residence.).
- [S1610] Jacobs, BonnieMargaret McDonald "The Family Benkelman" Unpublished Manuscript, 276 pages, October 1981 Version, (Copy owned by Barney Benkelman, Helena, Montana; which he xeroxed and sent to Melinda McLemore Strong in San Antonio, Texas), p. 133 (Reliability: 3).