1867 - 1947 (79 years)
||Susan "Susie" "Jim Ann" "Granny Mack" Byram [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||9 Sep 1867
||Alba, Wood County, Texas [3, 4, 5]
||20 Aug 1947
||Fresno County, California [3, 4]
||Belmont Memorial Park, Fresno, Fresno County, California 
- Dolores McLemore McKee says that her Granny Mac was nicknamed "Jim Ann" because she always worked like a man. She was orphaned at around nine years of age, and raised by a lady that Dolores believes was a maternal aunt.
Susan's first husband is listed as Syon Beason "S. B." REED on Find A Grave, a son of William Harvey Reed and Elizabeth Southern Reed. Said to have been born 14 Feb 1866 in Alba and died 8 Dec 1908 in Howard County, TX. Burial place not known. Find A Grave Memorial# 136528894
Dolores McLemore McKee believes her maiden name was BYRUM, though it has instead been cited as BYRAM, BARNES, and BALDWIN. She was said by descendants to have been born in Indian Territory, of Cherokee heritage. Three of her daughters from a prior marriage were living with she and Elisha McLemore as of the 1900 census, listed as his "daughters-in-law" [sic-s/b step-daughters]
When her eldest McLemore daughter, Lillie Mae, applied for a social security account in 1944, she listed her mother as Amer. Baldwin.
On the California Death Index, Susan's maiden name was shown as BARNES
MCLEMORE SUSIE ANN 09/09/1867 SWEDEN BARNES F TEXAS FRESNO 08/20/1947 79 yrs
And this is a transcription of her actual death certificate:
SUSIE ANN MC LEMORE
Place of Death County FRESNO City of Town FRESNO-Rural
Address Route 10, Box 557, Fresno
In this community 6 years, In California 6 years
Female White Widowed
Name of Husband ELISHA McLEMORE
Birthdate September 9, 1867
Age 79 Years, 11 Months, 11 Days
Birthplace Alba, Texas
Father John Barnes [Note: Contradicted on other document per Dolores McLemore McKee]
His birthplace Unknown
Mother Susan Swe(e)den
Her birthplace Unknown
Informant Mrs. Monzell (sic) Carter
Address Fresno, CA
Burial August 25, 1947
Belmont Memorial Park
Don F. Gates, Embalmer License 2429
Lisle Funeral Home
By Darwin W. Johnson
Date of Death August 20, 1947 1:50 a.m.
Attended by Physician from May 1947 to August 19, 1947
Last seen alive August 19, 1947
Cause of Death Acute Dilitation of heart due to Chronic Myocarditis
AA Calaway MD
1060 Fulton, Fresno 8/20/1947
At least two of her daughters also believed her last name to be BARNES, Mozelle, who was the informant for her death certificate, and Fallie, who showed BARNES on her application for a Social Security Number. It is interesting to note, however, that Fallie's application was printed in all capital letters, with only the Mother's Maiden name and the signature in cursive, as if there may have been some hesitation regarding the mother's maiden name.
Dolores McLemore Mckee adds that Susan's mother, Susan Sweeden, was a daughter of Ellen Simpkins, Elen Simpkins is the daugher of Joseph Simpkins and Nancy Stephens of North Carolina and Alabama.
Joseph SIMPKINS Nancy STEPHENS 07 Jun 1824 Cumberland NC USA
I am looking for information on Nancy Stephens, born in 1802 in N.C. and married Joseph Simpkins in 1824 in Cumberland North Carolina. They came to Texas about 1840.
Texas, Rains County, Precinct 5
Enumerated April 7, 1930
ED 190-7 SD 11 Sheet 5A
McLemore, Annie Hd M (sic) W 60 Tx Tx Tx
McLemore, Angelo Son M W 27 Tx Tx Tx
McLemore, Robert Son M W 19 Tx Tx Tx
McLemore (sic), Rosey Dtr F W 38 Tx Tx Tx
||Strong Family Tree
||4 Jul 2015 |
||Syon Beeson Reed, b. Bef 1865, Texas , d. Yes, date unknown |
| ||1. Ida Reed, b. Aug 1885, Texas , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Maybelle Reed, b. Jun 1887, Texas , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. Rosa Reed, b. Aug 1889, Texas , d. Yes, date unknown|
||23 Mar 2007 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Elisha Right McLemore, b. 12 Jan 1860, Jefferson County, Arkansas , d. 27 Sep 1922, Rains County, Texas (Age 62 years) |
- The 1910 census showed that both of them had been married twice, for 18 years, putting the date that they would have married at around 1892. This would make it appear that the Elisha's three oldest daughters, listed with he and Susan at the time of the 1900 census, were all born shortly after their marriage.
| ||1. Lillie Mae McLemore, b. 5 Mar 1893, Alba, Wood County, Texas , d. 18 Dec 1977, Fresno County, California (Age 84 years)|
| ||2. Emily McLemore, b. 25 Oct 1897, Texas , d. 28 Oct 1941, Fresno County, California (Age 44 years)|
| ||3. Varnetta "Nettie" McLemore, b. Aug 1898, Texas , d. 27 Mar 1904, Rains County, Texas (Age ~ 5 years)|
| ||4. Essie McLemore, b. 29 Sep 1901, Texas , d. 27 Mar 1904, Texas (Age 2 years)|
| ||5. Angelo McLemore, b. 7 Jan 1903, Rains County, Texas , d. 15 Aug 1959, Carroll County, Arkansas (Age 56 years)|
| ||6. Eufalia "Fallie" McLemore, b. 30 Apr 1905, Alba, Wood County, Texas , d. 2 Nov 1993, Fresno County, California (Age 88 years)|
| ||7. Robert Lee McLemore, b. 11 Oct 1910, Rains County, Texas , d. 8 Mar 1992 (Age 81 years)|
| ||8. Mozelle McLemore, b. 12 Jan 1914, Rains County, Texas , d. 10 Apr 2002, California (Age 88 years)|
||4 Jul 2015 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
- [S501] McLemore, Melba Gene-Family Researcher/Family Group Sheets, Correspondence, Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) ; http://www.mclemoregenealogy.org/index.php, (http://www.mclemoregenealogy.org/index.php).
- [S333] Ancestry.com - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current [database online], (Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011.
Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.
The Social Security Administration Death Master File contains information on millions of deceased individuals with United States social security numbers whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration. Birth years for the individuals listed range from 1875 to last year. Information in these records includes name, birth date, death date, and last known residence.).
- [S332] Rootsweb, California Death Records, 1940 thru 1997, (http://vitals.rootsweb.com/ca/death/search.cgi).
- [S873] Find A Grave [database online]; http://www.findagrave.com/, (Thousands of contributors submit new listings, updates, corrections, photographs and virtual flowers every hour to the FIND A GRAVE website. When it comes to administrating, building and maintaining the site, Find A Grave is largely operated by its founder, Jim Tipton.), # 20616865 (Reliability: 3).
- [S384] 1900 United States Federal Census [Ancestry.com database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004, (Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls. This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1900 United States Federal Census, the Twelfth Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, address, relationship to the head of household, color or race, sex, month and year of birth, age at last birthday, marital status, number of years married, the total number of children born of the mother, the number of those children living, birthplace, birthplace of father and mother, if the individual was foreign born, the year of immigration and the number of years in the United States, the citizenship status of foreign-born individuals over age twenty-one, occupation, and more. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1900 Federal Census.), Texas, Rains County, Precinct 5, SD 7 ED 76 Sheet 8B (Reliability: 3).