1888 - 1980 (91 years)
||Esther Selma Ackerman [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||12 Feb 1888
||Minden City, Sanilac County, Michigan [1, 2, 3]
||9 Feb 1980
||Caro, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 2]
||Elkland Township Cemetery, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan 
- Cass City Chronicle
Thursday, February 14, 1980
Rites held for Esther Benkelman
Esther Selma Benkelman, 91, of Cass City died last Thursday at the Tuscola County Medical Care Facility in Caro after a brief illness.
She was born February 12, 1888, near Minden City, the daughter of William and Marie (Wittmer) ACKERMAN.
Miss Ackerman married Joseph A. Benkelman June 10, 1911 in Cass City. He died June 11, 1968.
Mrs. Benkelman was one of the oldest members of Salem United Methodist Church of Cass City. She was also a member of the Dorcas Circle of United Methodist Women.
She is survived by three nieces, Mrs. Gordon THOMAS of East Lansing, Mrs. J. Franklin BECK of Mt. Gilead, Ohi and Andrew BLODGET of Hurtford City, Indiana. One daughter, Fern Marie, preceded her in death.
Funeral services were conducted Monday morning from Little's Funeral Home, Cass City, with Rev. Eldred Kelley of Salem United Methodist church officiating. Burial was in Elkland cemetery.
(Transcribed by Melinda McLemore Strong, Summer 2007)
- (Research):Cass City Chronicle
July 31, 1958
......eleven members of the Class (of 1905 of Cass City High School) were present at the reunion Thursday. They were: Frances McBurney-Gravatt of Houston, TX; Cecil Krapf-Allen of Royal Oak, Jennie Ferguson-Doerr of Fostoria; Ethel Dodge-Rambo of Marlette; Mae Williamson-Marshall of Gagetown, and the following of Cass City; Mr. Auten, Mr. Schwaderer, Miss Adeline Gallagher, Jennie Leek-Hutchinson, Esther Ackerman-Benkelman and Mollie Ackerman-Lenzner....
||Strong Family Tree
||2 Oct 2014 |
||William Akerman, b. 6 May 1858, Stuttgart, Neckarkreis, Württemberg, Germany , d. 26 Sep 1941, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 83 years) |
||Marie Wittwer, b. 12 Dec 1860, Bern, Switzerland , d. 17 Aug 1928, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 67 years) |
||27 Oct 1884
||Sanilac County, Michigan
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Joseph A. Benkelman, b. 5 Oct 1889, Elkland Township, Tuscola County, Michigan , d. 11 Jun 1968, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 78 years) |
||10 Jun 1911
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan
- THE STRIFFLER-BENKELMAN BROADCAST-1961 reported that The Joseph Benkelmans celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary on June Tenth. They were entertained by the E.U.B. Ladies' Aid at dinner, and their friends gave them another dinner. The 1967 issue reported that they celebrated their 55th anniversary with a dinner in Frankenmuth with Mr. and Mrs. Jack Esau and Leonard Striffler.
| ||1. Fern Marie Benkelman, b. 27 Mar 1912, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan , d. 2 Feb 1928, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 15 years)|
||Ackerman, Esther with her husband Joe Benkelman|
A snapshot of Esther and Joe, longtime residents of Cass City, Michigan
||11 Sep 2008 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Benkelman, Adam and Anna Catherine (Schaufele) Descendants ca 1912 Family Reunion|
Back, Standing, l to r: Mae Benkelman, Kate Schwegler, John Benkelman Sr., Ester Ackerman Benkelman, Minnie Jesse Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Augusta Krehl Benkelman, Dorus Benkelman, Will Schwegler, Ward Benkelman, Ben Schwegler, Sam Benkelman
Middle Row, kneeling, l to r: Alvin Benkelman, Harold Benkelman, Ruth Benkelman, Marie Benkelman (standing), Lena Benkelman Schwegler, Barbara Rommel Benkelman, Louisa Benkelman Schwegler
Bottom Row, seated, l to r: Bertha Benkelman, Glen Benkelman, Ida Benkelman, Lottie Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Sr. behind his nephew John Donald Benkelman, Lois Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Jr., Alice Ross Schwegler with her baby Edward William Schwegler, and ,facing left, Mary Striffler Benkelman (Mrs. Sam)
(Legend Courtesy of Bonnie-Margaret Benkelman Jacobs)
||Schwegler, Benjamin Adam ca 1953 with Esther & Joe Benkelman|
l t r, Ben Schweger, Esther Ackerman Benkelman, and Joseph Benkelman
- [S492] Peck, Edward Arthur THE TEN BENKELMANS WHO EMIGRATED TO AMERICA Ca. 1850s AND CERTAIN OF THEIR DESCENDANTS, 1982.
- [S653] Cass City Chronicle, P.O. Box 115, Cass City, Michigan 48726, Published continously since 1899, archived from 1899 through 2005 at http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/, Thursday, February 14, 1980 (Reliability: 3).
- [S384] 1900 United States Federal Census [Ancestry.com database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004, (Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls. This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1900 United States Federal Census, the Twelfth Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, address, relationship to the head of household, color or race, sex, month and year of birth, age at last birthday, marital status, number of years married, the total number of children born of the mother, the number of those children living, birthplace, birthplace of father and mother, if the individual was foreign born, the year of immigration and the number of years in the United States, the citizenship status of foreign-born individuals over age twenty-one, occupation, and more. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1900 Federal Census.), Sanilac County, Michigan (Reliability: 3).
- [S653] Cass City Chronicle, P.O. Box 115, Cass City, Michigan 48726, Published continously since 1899, archived from 1899 through 2005 at http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/, Thursday, May 27, 1965 (Reliability: 3).