1879 - 1950 (70 years)
||William John Schwegler [1, 2] |
||29 Aug 1879
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 2]
||22 Jan 1950
||Charlotte, Eaton County, Michigan [1, 3]
||Maple Hill Cemetery, Charlotte, Eaton County, Michigan
- The Michigan Birth Index instead has his date of birth listed as 30 August 1879.
Cass City Chronicle
Friday, May 30, 1913
Mr. and Mrs. William Schwegler and sons, Andrew and Edward, Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Nash jr and daughter, Elizabeth, and Mrs. David Ross spent Sunday at the Ostrander home in Ellington.
The Striffler-Benkelman Broadcast, Vol. 7, September 4, 1944, noted that the Schwegler Brothers, William and Benjamin have sold their farms in Elkland township. Ben has bought a home in Cass City, and will shortly move there. Williams expects to join his sons, Andrew and Edward, in Charlotte.
Cass City Chronicle
Friday, January 27, 1950
Vol. 44, Num. 40, Page 1
Deceased Lived 65 Years on the Same Farm Where He Was Born
Wm. J. Schwegler, former resident of Elkland Township, died Sunday morning at 11 o'clock int he Hayes-Green-Beach Hospital in Charlotte, Michigan, where he had been a patient nearly one week.
Mr. Schwegler, son of the late Andrew and Louisa Schwegler, was born August 29, 1879, on a farm on the North Schwegler road and lived there until November, 1944, when he and his wife moved to Charlotte after selling their farm to John Zinnecker, the present owner.
On September 3, 1908, he was united in marriage with Miss Alice J. Ross.
While he lived in Elkland Township he served several terms on the school board of the Bird School district and was a member of the Farm Produce Co. board of directors.
During his residence in this vicinity he was a member of the local Evangelical United Brethren Church and served on the church trustee board for 35 years during which time he was president of the board a number of terms. He also served this church in the capacity of Sunday School superintendent, class leader and Sunday School teacher for a number of years.
At the time of his death, he was a member of the Charlotte Methodist Church and the Charlotte Grange.
He leaves to mourn their loss his widow; two sons, Andrew F. and Edward W., both of Charlotte; and two granddaughters, Joann, of Berea, Ohio, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew F. Schwegler, and Kay Ann, baby daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward F. (sic) Schwegler; two sisters, Mrs. Chas. Gregore of Puslinch, Ont., and Mrs. Orton Klinkman of Decker; and a brother, Benjamin A. Schwegler of Cass City.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. Ray Gilliam, pastor of the Charlotte Methodist Church, at the Burkland Chapel of Tuesday afternoon. Interment was in Maple Hill cemetery, Charlotte.
(Transcribed by Melinda McLemore Strong)
Michigan, Tuscola County, Elkland Twp
Enumerated 19 and 20 April 1910 by John A. Benkelman
SD 8 ED 112 Sheet 2A
Schwegler, Benj. Hd M W 24 S Mich Germany NY Farmer
Schwegler, Louisa Mother F W 57 Wd 6/5 NY Germany Germany Own Income
Schwegler, Catherine Sister F w 17 S Mich Germany NY
Schwegler, William J Hd M W 30 M1 Mich Germany NY
Schwegler, Alice Wf F W 26 M1 1/1 Canada/Gaelic Canada/Gaelic Canada/Gaelic
Schwegler, Andrew Son M W 2/12 S Mich Mich Canada/Gaelic
Crocker, Henry Hired Man M W 26 S Mich Ohio Germany Laborer Farm
Michigan, Tuscola County, Elkland Twp
Enumerated 15 and 16 Jan 1920
SD 7 ED 178 Sheet 3A Stamped 99
Schwegler, William Head m W 40 M Mich Germany/German NY/German Farmer
Schwegler, Alice Wf F W 35 M 1890 Na 1905 Candad English Scotland English Canada English
Schwegler, Andrew Son m W 9 S Mich Mich Canada/English
Schwegler, Edward Son M W 8 S Mich Mich Canada/English
Schwegler, Benjamin head m W 33 M Mich Germany/German NY/German
Schwegler, Magdlene Wf F W27 M Mich Canada/English Mich/English
Schwegler, Mildred Dtr F W 3 2/12 S Mich Mich Mich
Schwegler, Marjory Dtr F W 1 8/12 S Mich Mich Mich
||Strong Family Tree
||17 Aug 2014 |
||Andreas "Andrew" Schwegler, b. 9 Jan 1849, Breech, Börtlingen Parish, Göppingen, Donaukreis, Württemberg, Germany , d. 25 Dec 1899, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 50 years) |
||Louisa Benkelman, b. 9 Apr 1853, Bowmansville, Town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York , d. 11 Sep 1924, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan (Age 71 years) |
||12 Apr 1874
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan [1, 4, 5, 6]
||Schwegler, Andrew and Louisia (Benkelman), and son Andrew Schwegler|
Andrew and Louisa's son, Samuel, predeceased them at age 11; his parents later sharing his marker
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Alice J. Ross, b. 18 Jan 1884, Canada , d. 15 Jul 1964, Charlotte, Eaton County, Michigan (Age 80 years) |
||3 Sep 1908
||Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan 
| ||1. Andrew Francis Schwegler, b. 9 Feb 1910, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan , d. 31 Aug 1975, Manistee, Manistee County, Michigan (Age 65 years)|
| ||2. Edward William Schwegler, b. 20 Oct 1911, Cass City, Tuscola County, Michigan , d. 24 Feb 1957, Coopersville, Ottawa County, Michigan (Age 45 years)|
||4 Aug 2007 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Benkelman, Adam and Anna Catherine (Schaufele) Descendants ca 1912 Family Reunion|
Back, Standing, l to r: Mae Benkelman, Kate Schwegler, John Benkelman Sr., Ester Ackerman Benkelman, Minnie Jesse Benkelman, Joe Benkelman, Augusta Krehl Benkelman, Dorus Benkelman, Will Schwegler, Ward Benkelman, Ben Schwegler, Sam Benkelman
Middle Row, kneeling, l to r: Alvin Benkelman, Harold Benkelman, Ruth Benkelman, Marie Benkelman (standing), Lena Benkelman Schwegler, Barbara Rommel Benkelman, Louisa Benkelman Schwegler
Bottom Row, seated, l to r: Bertha Benkelman, Glen Benkelman, Ida Benkelman, Lottie Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Sr. behind his nephew John Donald Benkelman, Lois Benkelman, Ben Benkelman Jr., Alice Ross Schwegler with her baby Edward William Schwegler, and ,facing left, Mary Striffler Benkelman (Mrs. Sam)
(Legend Courtesy of Bonnie-Margaret Benkelman Jacobs)
||Schwegler, Andrew ca 1883 and Family|
Andrew Schwegler and wife Louisa Benkelman, with children William (b. 1879), Laura (b. 1878), Sam (b. 1875) and Mary (b. 1881), Cass City, Michigan. Marjory Schwegler Battel verified both the identity and order the children were standing in.
||Live Wire Bible Class of the Evangelical United Brethern Church Sunday School, Cass City Michigan, ca 1917|
FRONT ROW, l to r, Grant McConnell, class leader; UNKNOWN Clergyman, UNKNOWN class member, William Schwegler, Sam Helwig, George Burg
SECOND ROW, l to r, Hattie Helwig McConnell, Janet "Jennie" Gardner Buehrly, Minerva Helwig Sherman, Mary Buehrly Striffler, Mary Mark Buehrly
THIRD ROW; l to r, Alma Striffler Schenck holding her baby Ruth, Lena Helwig Jaus, Lillian Striffler Ricker, Minnie Jesse Benkelman, Mary Schwegler Jaus, Jacob Hiller.
Note: Alma Striffler Schenck's three year old son, Donald, was said to be asleep in the Model T Ford just to the left of the group at the time this photo was taken
FOURTH ROW: l to r, Elsie Buehrly, Mary Striffler Helwig, Cora Helwig Klinkman, Laura McConnell Hiller, Alice Ross Schwegler, Mary McLellan Joos, Ed Helwig
FIFTH ROW, l to r, Art Ricker, Erwin Kercher, Ed Buehrly, Harvey Klinkman, UNKNOWN Class Member, Fred Buehrly, Fred Joos
TOP ROW, l to r, Sol Striffler, Clayton Schenck, Fred Jaus, William Ackerman, Sam Jaus
It appears that at least 33 of the 36 adults in this Sunday School class were directly related, through either blood or marriage, to the Striffler, Benkelman and Helwig families who emigrated together from Erie County, New York to Tuscola County, Michigan beginning in the 1860's.
PLEASE HELP US IDENTIFY THE UNKNOWN INDIVIDUALS.
||Schwegler, Benjamin Adam ca 1940's with Will Schwegler and Albert Benkelman |
Brothers Ben and Will Schwegler after a visit with their cousin Albert Benkelman from St. Francis, Kansas
From Lena Mark Schwegler's postcard collection, a group of young adults at a neighborhood party, William Schwegler Home, Schwegler Road, Cass City, Michigan
- [S492] Peck, Edward Arthur THE TEN BENKELMANS WHO EMIGRATED TO AMERICA Ca. 1850s AND CERTAIN OF THEIR DESCENDANTS, 1982.
- [S483] 1920 United States Federal Census [Ancestry.com database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005, (For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the NARA web page. This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1920 United States Federal Census, the Fourteenth Census of the United States. It includes all states and territories, as well as Military and Naval Forces, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and the Panama Canal Zone. The census provides many details about individuals and families including: name, gender, age, birthplace, year of immigration, mother tongue, and parents’ birthplaces. In addition, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1920 Federal Census.), Michigan, Tuscola County, Elkland Twp Enumerated 15 and 16 Jan 1920 SD 7 ED 178 Sheet 3A Stamped 99 61-64 (Reliability: 3).
- [S595] Striffler-Benkelman Broadcast, (Family Publication, published sporadically to record family milestones in connection with the annual Striffler-Benkelman Family Reunions, with Vol. 1, Number 1, published Sept. 7, 1936. Issues on file at the Rawson Memorial Library in Cass City, Michigan include Vol. 5 (1941), Vol. 7 (1944) and Volumes 8 (1945) through Vol. 28 (1968). Issues published from 1961 through 1964 were not assigned volume numbers, and 1963 appears to be missing. Xeroxes of the existing issues were also made by Melinda McLemore Strong in 2007. According to a article published by the Cass City Chronicle on August 6, 1981, commemorating the Fiftieth and Final Striffler-Benkelman Reunion, the final issue of the STRIFFLER-BENKELMAN BROADCAST appears to have been Volume 28, published in 1968.), Volume 13, September 4, 1950. (Reliability: 3).
- [S577] Dibean, Jack & Marianne "Michigan Marriage Index" http://www.mifamilyhistory.org/dibeanindex/.
- [S653] Cass City Chronicle, P.O. Box 115, Cass City, Michigan 48726, Published continously since 1899, archived from 1899 through 2005 at http://newspapers.rawson.lib.mi.us/chronicle/, Friday, September 19, 1924 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1610] Jacobs, BonnieMargaret McDonald "The Family Benkelman" Unpublished Manuscript, 276 pages, October 1981 Version, (Copy owned by Barney Benkelman, Helena, Montana; which he xeroxed and sent to Melinda McLemore Strong in San Antonio, Texas), p. 133 (Reliability: 3).