1830 - 1894 (64 years)
||Jane McCormick  |
||13 May 1830
||21 Aug 1894
||Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin [2, 3]
||23 Aug 1894
||Evergreen Cemetery, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
- On the Mantiowoc, Wisconsin, genealogy website, she is referred to as "a young widow from Chicago." Her dates of birth and death are based her tombstone in the Evergreen Cemetery in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The actual death certificate shows August 23, 1894, which appears to actually be the date of her burial. Some sources show that her first husband was named Richard CLANCEY. BonnieMargaret Jacobs shows him as William Richard Clancey, and Jane as a daughter of John and Catherine McCormick, citing Manitowoc County Marriage Records, Vol. 1, Page 67.
Her obituary, from the Evergreen Cemetery, Manitowoc County, website, follows:
From Der Nord Westen, 30 Aug. 1894
Death of Mrs. L. Binkelmann, an old resident of our city, last Fri. Burial was Sun. in the Catholic Cemetery.
[Note: The newspaper was in error about the cemetery as well as the misspelled surname]
Jane Benkelmann/bur. 08-23-1894/age 64 yrs./cause: exhaustion
||Strong Family Tree
||17 Aug 2014 |
||Johann Leonhard "Leonard" Benkelman, b. 5 Jul 1828, Schneiderhof, Waldhausen Parish, Welzheim, Jagstkreis, Württemberg, Germany , d. 25 May 1913, Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin (Age 84 years) |
||19 Feb 1855
||Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin [1, 2, 4]
- BENKELMANN: Leonhard (also Leonard Benkelman) b: Wurtenburg, Germany res: Manitowoc p: Leonhard and Toladea Benkelmann m: 19 Feb. 1855 at Manitowoc to: Jane (McCormick)Clancey (a young widow from Chicago) p: John and Cath. McCormick
Jane Zimmerman writes that Leonard was quite easygoing, whereas Jane was hard to please.
| ||1. William Richard Clancey Binkelman, b. 2 Mar 1848, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Mary Jane Clancey, b. 8 Feb 1852, Wisconsin , d. 3 Jul 1916, Wisconsin (Age 64 years)|
| ||3. Friedrich Benkelman, b. Between 1856 and 1857, Wisconsin , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. Emma Ella Benkelman, b. 18 Feb 1860, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin , d. 14 Jan 1937, Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin (Age 76 years)|
||19 Jun 2013 |
||Group Sheet, Family chart
||Benkelman, Johann Leonhard and wife Jane McCormick|
Jane was a young widow with two children when she and Leonhard married. They had two additional children together. On the back of this photo is the label, "Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Benkelman, Melendy & Packard, Photography, Manitowac, Wisconsin."
||Benkelman, Jane McCormick|
The widow of Richard Clancey. She had two young children when she married Leonhard Benkelman, and they went onto have two more. All four children considered Leonhard their father.
||Benkelman/Horne/Clark Family Marker|
This is what is engraved on the back of the headstone of William and Mary Jane (Clancey-Benkelman) CLARK. It marks not only the burial place of Leonhard Benkelman and his wife, Jane McCormick; but also of presumed son-in-law John E. Horne and grandson, Willie Horne. The lot itself was purchased by John E. Horne. Leonhard Benkelman's step-daughter, Mary Jane Clancey, married first a HORNE and later William Clark.
- [S492] Peck, Edward Arthur THE TEN BENKELMANS WHO EMIGRATED TO AMERICA Ca. 1850s AND CERTAIN OF THEIR DESCENDANTS, 1982.
- [S690] Zimmerman, Jane-Family Researcher (email@example.com).
- [S1610] Jacobs, BonnieMargaret McDonald "The Family Benkelman" Unpublished Manuscript, 276 pages, October 1981 Version, (Copy owned by Barney Benkelman, Helena, Montana; which he xeroxed and sent to Melinda McLemore Strong in San Antonio, Texas), p. 103, she cites the date of death as 23 Aug 1894, perhaps using the burial date? She also cites Manitowoc County Death Records, Vol. 4, pg. 234 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1610] Jacobs, BonnieMargaret McDonald "The Family Benkelman" Unpublished Manuscript, 276 pages, October 1981 Version, (Copy owned by Barney Benkelman, Helena, Montana; which he xeroxed and sent to Melinda McLemore Strong in San Antonio, Texas), p. 102 (Reliability: 3).