Strong - McLemore History and Ancestry
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]



Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media    |    PDF

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Living

    Living married Living [Group Sheet]

    1. Living

Generation: 2

  1. 2.  Living

    Living married Living [Group Sheet]

  2. 3.  Living
    1. 1. Living
    2. Living
    3. Living
    4. Living
    5. Living
    6. Living
    7. Living

Generation: 3

  1. 4.  Homer Richard StrongHomer Richard Strong was born 29 Feb 1908, Junction City, Comanche County, Oklahoma (son of Walter Winfield Strong and Terezie Rose "Tessie" Soukup); died 19 Sep 1990, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 22 Sep 1990, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.


    Homer was born in a Leap Year's day, February 29, 1908. He used March 1 as his "official" birthday, however, so he could celebrate it each year instead of only once every four years.

    He was eight when his mother died, and twelve when his father remarried. Neither Homer nor Barney were pleased with their new step-mother, Stella Crouch. They left home around 1925, and went to Portales, New Mexico, to live with their Uncle Rolla Strong. They grew enough beans and maize to feed the horses, and lived on Rolla's $17 a month pension from the Navy. They also spent sometime with their grandfather, Ralph, at his Ranch in nearby Pep.

    In 1927, Homer moved back to Duncan, Oklahoma to be closer to his parents. He worked for a cotton gin. In 1929, he went to live with his Uncle Alois Soukup in Prague, Oklahoma. His Uncle died in an explosion while trying to rechannel a creek. Homer and a friend were in the creek setting the dynamite, while Alois on the bank putting in the fuses. Homer lost the hearing in one ear as a result of this explosion. After his Uncles death, he returned to Duncan. This is where he met his wife, Anna Laura at a dance. At the time of the 1930 census, he was a boarder with the Elmer Michels family in Duncan.

    1930 census
    Stephens Co. OK King Twp., Duncan city ED 69-28
    Sheet 3A & 3B
    1210 Spruce
    69/70 Michels, Elmer A. and family
              Strong, Homer R., boarder, MW 21 S OK US US

    At the time, Homer was painting signs for Fuzzy Carter, at his sign company. Bill and Charles Strong both caddied for Fuzzy years later, when they were teenagers. Fuzzy had a sing up during WWII that said, in one continuous statement, "Quityourdamnbellyachingandbuymorewarbonds." This sign was on the side of the Palace Theatre. In 1936, Homer went to work for Coca Cola for $15 a week, painting signs. It was during the depression and work was scare. Roonie recounts that one day they simply ran out of food. Their eldest son was just an infant. Roonie said all they had in the house was one heal end of a loaf of bread. She borrowed a spoonful of syrup from their neighbor, and put that on the bread for Charles. She and Homer did without that day. Although there were many other days that food and money were very sparse, that was the only day they did totally without.

    Homer was drafted in 1943, and helped train men at Fort Sill. He was discharged as a Sergeant First Class on March 15, 1949, and forever after was known by his nickname "Sarg."  He was a Radio Repairman (Instructor) 8648, and eventually was in charge of the radio repair school at Fort Sill. Charles Strong notes that Homer's being drafted was what brought the family out of poverty and put them on the road to economic stability.

    Homer went back to Coca Cola after the war, and then to Halliburton. He worked for Halliburton from 1951 to 1972. He was a sign painter and worked in their carpentery shop.

    His military records show that he completed 8 years of Grammer School, but did not attend High School. His wife Roonie recounted that Homer was always a bit defensive about his lack of  a formal education. He worked hard later in his life to make up for this. He read extensively, and took continuing education courses in subjects such as Spanish. He loved music, and had a wide collection of tapes, ranging from country and western to Spanish Flamenco to opera. Although he had no training in music, he would write out the scores of his favorite songs by listening to them over and over again, recreating them on his keyboard, and then writing them out. He also loved to do the daily crossword puzzle, in pen. After they retired, he and Roonie were able to travel to Europe, where they stayed where they visited their son Bill, who was stationed in Germany.

    Homer's obituary in the Duncan, Oklahoma newspaper read as follows:

    H.R. "Sarg" Strong, 82, 1806 Birch, died Wednesday, September 19, 1990, in a Duncan hospital. A Rosary will be at 7:30 pm Friday in the Don Grantham Funeral Home Chapel. Service will be at 10 am Saturday in Assumption Catholic Church with Father Paul Gillespie officiating. Burial will be in Duncan cemetery.

    Mr. Strong was born March 1, 1908 in Lawton. He was retired from Halliburton Services, and a U.S. Army veteran, serving from 1943 to 1948. He was a member of Assumption Catholic Church. On October 23, 1931 (sic), he married Anna L. Payne in Waurika.

    Survivors include his wife of the home; five sons, Charles Strong of Edinburg, Texas, Bill Strong of Yukon, John Strong of Duncan, Tom Strong of Phoenix, Arizona and Paul David Strong of Santa Barbara, California; two daughters, Caroline Brasher of Duncan and Theresa Rutledge of Austin; four brothers Barnie Strong of Gainesville, Texas and Bob Strong, Cecil Lewis and Jack Strong, all of Lawton; a sister Viola Weaver of Gainesville; 23 grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.  (Note: at the time, Homer actually had 22 grandchildren and nine great granchildren). Bearers will be grandsons.

    Don Grantham Funeral Homes, Duncan, Oklahoma.

    (Medical):AB Blood type

    Homer married Anna Laura Payne 23 Feb 1932, Waurika, Jefferson County, Oklahoma. Anna (daughter of Thomas Hamilton Payne, II and Bessie Bird Gentry) was born 23 Oct 1913, Arthur, Parks Township, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was christened 23 Dec 1922, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 15 Sep 2004, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 18 Sep 2004, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma. [Group Sheet]

  2. 5.  Anna Laura PayneAnna Laura Payne was born 23 Oct 1913, Arthur, Parks Township, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was christened 23 Dec 1922, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma (daughter of Thomas Hamilton Payne, II and Bessie Bird Gentry); died 15 Sep 2004, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 18 Sep 2004, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.


    Member of the Chickasaw Nation. Her father, Thomas Hamilton Payne (Original Enrollee #3686) was a Chickasaw by blood.

    It is believed she was named after the popular Scottish Folk ballad, Annie Laurie. Her nickname, "Roonie" was also a product of popular culture, based on the Little Annie Rooney comic strip that ran during the depression.

    Anna Laura was baptized in 1922, her sponsors being her Aunt and Uncle, Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Sparks.  According to a brochure from the Church of the Assumption, Duncan, commemorating Religious Heritage Day on Sunday, June 28, 1992, "Both sides of Anna Laura (Roonie) Strong's family history intertwines in their settlement of Duncan before the 1900's. Her Uncle John and Aunt Annie Sparks O'Neil's home, presently the Phil Leonard home, was used regularly for masses before the first church was built in 1909. Roonie attended the first parochial school, "Joan of Arc", which had been built by one of the outstanding parish priests, Fr. J.A. Garvey, and run by Sisters of Divine Providence."

    After their father left home, Bessie had trouble making enough money to support her family. When Anna Laura was 15, she and Fay were sent to Saint Elizabeth Academy, an Orphanage and Boarding School for Native American Girls in Purcell, Oklahoma. Anna Laura remembers the long train ride being frightening. Although the distance from Duncan to Purcell was not particulary long, it was a freight train and made numerous long stops. It was very late at night before they finally arrived, and they had long since finished the sack lunch their mother had made them. Lois joined them at the school when she was old enough. Both Anna Laura and Faye graduated from St. Elizabeth's. Lois returned to Duncan to live with Anna Laura, and she graduated from Duncan High School.

    Anna Laura's graduation was on the 26 of May in 1931. Her diploma was signed by Rev. Jacques Van Castel, Sister Adelhelma, Sister Theresa and Sister Lena. The nuns were members of the Sisters of St. Francis. Sister Lena had arrived at St. Elizabeth between 1889 and 1890.

    Sisters Adelhelma and Lena were from Germany. Sister Lena worked in the kitchen and Roonie had been assigned to help her. She recalls the day Sister Lena accidentally dropped her rosary while cooking and loudly proclaimed, "Mein Lord and Mein Gott! I dropped my Jesus in the Soup."  Sister Lena presented this same rosary to Anna Laura as a graduation gift, in memory of the work and faith they had shared. An article about the history of this school is contained under the "research" tab of these notes.

    When Roonie's children were all school age, she returned to work. She was the head cook at first the parochial school in Duncan, and later at Duncan Junior High School. She held this position for approximately 20 years.

    Roonie and her sisters Fay and Lois remained close friends throughout their adult lifes, often traveling together.

    The Duncan Banner, Sept. 16, 2004 Anna Laura 'Roonie' Payne Strong

    Anna Laura "Roonie" Payne Strong, 90, of Duncan, died Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2004, in her home. Funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in Assumption Catholic Church with the Rev. Victor John officiating. Burial will be in Duncan City Cemetery, under direction of Don Grantham Funeral Home.

    A rosary service will be held at 7 p.m. Friday in the funeral home chapel. Roonie was born Oct. 23, 1913, in Alma (sic) to Thomas H. and Bessie Gentry Payne. She married Homer Richard Strong on Oct. 23, 1931 (sic), in Waurika. He preceded her in death on Sept. 19, 1990.

    Roonie was a graduate of St. Elizabeth's Academy in Purcell in 1931. She later attended Duncan Business School. She was employed by the Duncan Public School System for 28 years before retiring.

    She was a member of Assumption Catholic Church, where she sang in the choir for 60 years and was a member of the Ladies' Altar Society. She was also a member of the Fatima Study Club and was a citizen of the Chickasaw Nation.

    She was a wonderful homemaker, wife, mother and grandmother.

    Survivors include five sons and spouses: Charles and Pat Strong of Edinburg, Texas, Bill and Betty Strong of Yukon, Tom and Vickie Strong of Laveen, Ariz., and John and Brenda Strong, and Paul David and Jane Strong, all of Duncan; a daughter, Caroline Brasher of Duncan; a sister, Lois Marie Payne Hanna of Oklahoma City; 22 grandchildren and 33 great-grandchildren.

    She was also preceded in death by her parents; a daughter, Theresa Marie Rutledge; a great-granddaughter, Alexandra Kathrine Brasher in 1994; and a sister, Fay Pierce Yeager. Bearers will be her grandsons.Memorial contributions may be made to Chisholm Trail Hospice, P.O. Box 2000, Duncan, OK 73534-2000.

    (Courtesy of Lynell Cordell)


    By Mary Jo Turner
    Sunday, August 15, 1948
    The Daily Oklahoman

    Purcell, Aug. 14-Historic St. Elizabeth's convent, which for 60 years played a vital part in cultural development of Indian territory and early growth and education of Oklahoma, is closing its doors September 1 for lack of funds.

    Founded in February, 1888, one year before Oklahoma was opened to settlement and barely a year after Purcell was established as a junction point on the Santa Fe, it is one of Oklahoma's most famous old schools.

    The spacious, roomy, two-storied frame building, set in a grassy plot with a peaceful background of slender poplars, elms and cedars, is still a thing of considerable beauty. For many years it was the only educational landmark in an unsettled area, and the sight of students playing about its grounds, supervised by the black-robed nuns, against the bright southwestern skies, has become familiar to nearly all Oklahomans who have lived here any length of time.

    When St. Elizabeth's convent was founded, in 1888, Purcell was a part of the Chickasaw nation of the old Indian territory, and the gateway to the great ranching empire which lay to the west and south. The country then was all pastureland, heavily wooded and a ranch of 10,000 to 20,000 acres was commonplace. Most of the settlers were Chickasaws, but here were also Choctaw families, and a good many white settlers. All were eager to send their children to school and the news that St. Elizabeth's convent had opened in Purcell was welcomed far and wide. Families packed their children and brought them to board and room at the convent, or if there was no space there, boarded them in homes and they attended day school.

    Three eager young nuns, all now dead, of the Order of St. Francis, made their way west from Philadelphia and arrived in Purcell on Feb. 14, 1888. They were the late Sister Barbara, Sister Mary Joachim and Sister Patricia. At the time there was under construction a three-room frame building on the same lot where the Benedictine priests had built a one-room church. Sunday services were conducted in the church which on week days was converted into two school rooms by hanging a heavy carpet to form a partition. In one room a Miss Fritch taught the boys, whil in the other room Sister Mary Patricia taught the girls. By November, however, the new three-room frame building was completed and enrolment consisted of 120 pupils. Ages of these pupils ranged from 6 to 18 years. Soon, there were 25 boarders, then 50. The one-room frame building was used for boys.

    Money for the grounds, buildings and teachers was paid for by Miss Katherine Drexel of the wealthy Philadelphia Drexel family. She had become interested in educating the Indians through the efforts of Father Vincent Jolly, O.S.B., who taught at the Sacred Heart academy situated in unsettled wilderness in what is now Pottawatomie county. Father Jolly, accompanied by Father William Capital, took turns in coming to Purcell to hold services. Father Jolly told Miss Drexel of the Indian boys and girls who needed educational opportunities, and described the great wilderness, which pioneers were still to conquer. One church was unable to bear the expense. But Miss Drexel could and did for 60 years.

    Miss Drexel furnished money for the grounds, buildings and early support, and a new building site was selected in 1891 by the Very Rev. Ignatius Jean, Benedictine priest, while Rev. F. Steven, director of the Indian bureau, gave the plans of the building to Miss Drexel. At her instigation, Archbishop Ryan of Philadelphia designated the Sisters of St. Francis of the Philadelphia Foundation, Mother House in Glen Riddle, Pa., to take charge of the mission. Miss Drexel also offered to pay of the sister's support.

    In an area known as Love's pasture, named for the late Robert Love, Purcell's founder, who proved to be very helpful to the new school, ground was broken and the building erected which still stands today. On the second floor near the chapel is a bronze plaque dedicated to the founder, the late Father Vincent Jolly.

    In the summers of 1889 and 1890, three more sisters, Sister Valentine, Sister Lena, and Sister Ludemiller joined the little bands of nuns and in 1891, Sister Mary Teresa, who is now the only one of the early group left, came to teach.

    Sister Teresa, now the Sister Superior of St. Elizabeth's convent, is 80. She is small of stature, being only 4 feet 9 inches in height and is slender and frail. Born in Philadelphia Ja. 29, 1868, she was an only child of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Caterson, also natives of Philadelphia. In May, 1888, she took her vows at Our Lady of Angels convent at Glen Riddle, Pa., and taught one year in Wilmington, Pa. The death of her mother the next year left her free for her appointment ot the new convent in the Indian territory. On the way to the new town of Purcell, she has two companions, twos sisters who were going to the missions near Pawhuska in the Osage nation. She she came alone from St. Louis and arrived at Purcell on Sept. 4, 1891, just in time to see the ground being broken for the present site.

    Government support by which the Indian girls' tuition was paid in part by the government was withdrawn in 1932......(Causing the sisters) to run the institution on practically no income except from Miss Drexel. For some time the sisters kept the girls without government aid from their own slender resources as teachers. Continued maintenance was impossible during these depressing days. This meant that the girls representing the Chickasaw, Choctaw, Cherokee and Pottawatomie tribes as well as others in all probability would be deprived of an eduation.

    However, through the mediation of George C. Wells, at that time supervisor of Indian education, Oklahoma district, and Chief Dwight, chief of the Choctaw nation,  a contract of 10 was received. But things have changed during the "war" years. There is a scarcity of teachers and enrollment is down. All in all, it seemed best to close the doors.

    So historic St. Elizabeth is closing its doors. And good little Sister Superior Teresea will teach no more. She will take a long rest. She would like to spend the rest of her life in Purcell but will go where the church decrees.

    (Medical):mtDNA Results (based on test of a child of Anna Laura PAYNE, a direct female descendant of Mary Richardson).

    Your Haplogroup and mutations relative to the Cambridge Reference Sequence (CRS) are shown below. A value of CRS indicates no mutations. High resolution (HVR2) results are shown only if you have requested the mtDNAPlus or mtDNA Refine test. If you ordered a Mega mtDNA the Coding Region (CR) will be displayed below.

    As you go through your mtDNA results, we strongly encourage you to read the mtDNA Results Tutorial that we have put together in the form of frequently asked questions about mtDNA results.
    HVR1 Haplogroup J

    HVR1 differences from CRS

    Haplogroup Description  J* Specific mitochondrial haplogroups are typically found in different regions of the world, and this is due to unique population histories. In the process of spreading around the world, many populations-with their special mitochondrial haplogroups-became isolated, and specific haplogroups concentrated in geographic regions. Today, we have identified certain haplogroups that originated in Africa, Europe, Asia, the islands of the Pacific, the Americas, and even particular ethnic groups. Of course, haplogroups that are specific to one region are sometimes found in another, but this is due to recent migration.  The mitochondrial haplogroup J contains several sub-lineages. The original haplogroup J originated in the Near East approximately 50,000 years ago. Within Europe, sub-lineages of haplogroup J have distinct and interesting distributions. Haplogroup J* -the root lineage of haplogroup J-is found distributed throughout Europe, but at a relatively low frequency. Haplogroup J* is generally considered one of the prominent lineages that was part of the Neolithic spread of agriculture into Europe from the Near East beginning approximately 10,000 years ago.


    Marriage Record No. 10 Waurika, Jefferson County, Oklahoma Between H.R. Strong, age 23 of Duncan, Oklahoma and Anna Laura Payne age 18 of Duncan, Oklahoma. Married by J.H. Harper, County Judge in the presence of Geo. Taber of Waurika, Oklahoma and H.B. Longest of Waurika, Oklahoma

    1. 2. Living
    2. Living
    3. Living
    4. Living
    5. Theresa Marie Strong was born 25 Mar 1942, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 28 Jul 1995, Austin, Travis County, Texas.
    6. Living
    7. Living

  3. 6.  Keith David McGuire, Sr.Keith David McGuire, Sr. was born 7 May 1905, Red Creek Farm, Dewey County, Oklahoma (son of Henry David McGuire and Anna Mary "Mamie" Kuykendall); died 4 Jan 1948, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma; was buried , Camargo (Westside) Cemetery, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma.


    Keith grew up in Trail, Oklahoma, across the river from Camargo. His family moved often while he was growing up He worked as a blacksmith and welder.

    At the time of the 1930 Federal census, he was a Lodger in the home of Eulalie Fayard in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi. He was shown as Male, Single, born in Oklahoma with his parents born in Alabama and Kansas. Occupation was that of a Telephone Lineman.
    (Source Citation: Bay Saint Louis, Hancock, Mississippi; Roll: 1146; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 0005; Image: 125.0; FHL microfilm: 2340881.)

    Keith owned a  1940 Aeronca TL Trainer    two place tandem seat air plane, in which he died after a crash on January 4, 1948. He had been assisting some local  ranchers  who were eradicating  coyotes in the area. His son, Keith McGuire, Jr. recalls that his father "occasionally, and not for hire, would fly in areas  where local farmers/ranchers that he knew were hunting Coyotes, and would serve as a spotter for those on the ground."  Keith Jr  was riding with hi s Dad  in the plane that day until shortly before his  Dad's  death, which was just after noon, 12 PM.

    Coyote Hunting using airplanes were accomplished by two means at that time.  One was where a  second  person riding with the pilot would shoot coyotes while in the air from the airplane. The other was where Ranchers on horses using Greyhound Dogs  to  corner the coyotes would sometimes be assisted by a pilot in a plane serving as a spotter  to designate where coyotes were by a maneuver , usually wagging the planes wings in flight when they flew over an area where they saw coyotes.  Keith reported that his father did this strictly for the sport, and not for hire.

    There was not enough room in the church for all the mourners at his funeral , which was typical for all funerals in small towns in that time era.    Kenneth Carpenter was one the eight honorary pallbearers at Keith's funeral, there being six active pallbearers. Josephine and Kenneth were married some eight years after the funeral.

    The funeral director was Mr. Shaw of Vici, Oklahoma.

    Keith married Josephine Marguerite Morlas 16 Jul 1930, Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi. Josephine (daughter of John Dominic Morlas and Lucine Roquevert) was born 13 Apr 1905, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 6 Sep 1983, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma; was buried , Camargo (Westside) Cemetery, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma. [Group Sheet]

  4. 7.  Josephine Marguerite MorlasJosephine Marguerite Morlas was born 13 Apr 1905, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana (daughter of John Dominic Morlas and Lucine Roquevert); died 6 Sep 1983, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma; was buried , Camargo (Westside) Cemetery, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma.


    In his biography of his mother, Keith McGuire wrote that she was born in her parents home at 6333 South Claiborne Avenue in New Orleans. She was baptized at the Most Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, and later attended school at Holy Name, less than 20 blocks from her home. After she completed High School, she enrolled with her cousin, Hazel Roquevert, at the Charity Hospital in New Orleans to study nursing. They soon decided that this was not their vocation, and jointly terminated their enrollment. Most summers were spent visiting Lucine and Grady Quinn in Sturgis, Mississippi and vactioning with their family on the Gulf Coast at Biloxi.

    In the summer of 1929, however, Josephine went to Europe with her Mother, younger sisters Vivian and Eleanor, and cousin Stella O'Brien. They travelled by Ocean Liner on a tour "especially prepared for a Party of Five Ladies" by the American Express World Service Travel Department. The group left for Europe on June 3, 1929, the ocean voyage itself taking several weeks. While in Europe, they toured France, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and then returned to France.  On their return voyage, they stopped in both Santender, Spain and Havana, Cuba. They arrived home again on September 10, 1929.

    Pat Strong writes that it was the following summer, while vacationing on the Gulf Coast, that Josephine met, fell in love and eloped with her husband Keith McGuire. Shortly afterwards they were married in a Catholic church in New Orleans. Vivian was a witness at both weddings. Josephine left her family in New Orleans to be with her husband in Oklahoma,  which was where they raised their children, Keith and Pat. Josephine always kept in close touch with her family, being an excellent and reliable correspondent. She also saw her family occasionally over the years.

    Pat remembers her mother as being a social force in Camargo. She was very outgoing and loved to entertain and give parties, something not many other mothers did. She also wrote the "Camargo News" column for the Vici Beacon. She later worked for this newspaper after her husband died.

    When Josephine was suddenly left widowed at age 42, she had only a small inheritance from her mother (some $1,400) and the proceeds from the sale of Keith's welding shop to help support her family. Even though she had never worked outside the home before, after her husbands death it became necessary for her to work. She had several different jobs over the years as a U.S. Census enumerator, as a clerk in a newspaper office, as a saleslady in department stores, and mainly as a waitress in restaurants and coffee shops. In her later years, she and her second husband, Kenneth, did custodian work for a number of offices as well.

    After her youngest child Pat graduated from high school, Josephine moved to Weatherford, Oklahoma and worked while Pat attended Southwestern State College. After Pat graduated, they moved to Mooreland where Pat taught school for two years.

    When Pat moved to Stillwater to work on her master's degree at Oklahoma State University, Josephine moved to Woodward and continued working. Josephine married Kenneth Carpenter, who had been a friend of her late husband, shortly before Pat married Charles Strong, a fellow student at Oklahoma State University.

    Even though it was not easy for Josephine after her first husband died and in her later years, she seemed to get a lot of pleasure out of everything she did in life.

    Carpenter, 77

    Funeral services for Mrs. Kenneth (Josephine) Carpenter, 77, 923 1/2 Cherry, Woodward, will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Stecher Mortuary Chapel. The Rev. Michael Wheelahan of St. Peter's Catholic Church will officiate and burial will be in Camargo Cemetery.

    She was born in New Orleans, La., April 13, 1906 (sic) and died in a McAlester Hospital late Tuesday following a lengthy illness. She attended school at Holy Name Academy in New Orleans. She later taught school at the Academy and St. Rita's school in New Orleans.

    On July 30 (sic), 1930 she was married to Keith David McGuire at Biloxi, Mississippi, and they moved to Camargo, where he was killed in an airplane accident on January 4, 1948. She moved to Woodward where on September 1, 1956 she was married to Kenneth Carpenter, and he preceded her in death on December 30, 1981. She was a member of the Catholic Church.

    She is survived by a son Keith McGuire, McAlester; a daughter, Mrs. Patricia Marion Strong, Edenburg (sic), Tex.,; three sisters Mrs. (sic) Juliet Morlas, Mrs. Vivian Schoenfeld, and Mrs. Eleanor Rohli, New Orleans; 10 grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren.

    (Published in The Woodward Daily Press, Wednesday, September 7, 1983; copy  courtesy of Keith McGuire)

    Josephine's date of birth was April 13, 1905. This meant she was not quite a month older than her husband, Keith. The thought of being even slightly older than her husband was so upsetting that Josephine immediately began to report her date of birth as one year later than in actually was, reporting it as April 13, 1906. Even her death certificate and obituary reflected the wrong year.

    (Medical):Chronic pancreatitis, micronodular cirrhosis


    Eloped after meeting in Biloxi, Mississippi. Keith was working for the phone company. Josephine was on vacation with her family. On July 26, 1930, they repeated their vows in the Catholic Church.

    1. Living
    2. 3. Living

Generation: 4

  1. 8.  Walter Winfield StrongWalter Winfield Strong was born 10 May 1881, Farmersville, Collin County, Texas (son of Ralph Brainerd Strong and Mary Ella Hall); died 4 Apr 1961, Gainesville, Cooke County, Texas; was buried 6 Apr 1961, Highland Cemetery, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma.


    Walter's middle name, Winfield, does not appear to be a family name. It is assumed that he was named in honor of General Winfield Scott.

    In 1907, Walter was living in Comanche County, Oklahoma (Source: Estate Settlement of Mash & Eliza J. Hall). As he and Tessie Soukup were married sometime before 1908, this is presumably where they met.

    According to the June 18, 1908 WALTERS (Oklahoma) JOURNAL, "Walter Strong who worked at the barber trade last fall, but who for some time has been in Lawton and Temple has returned to Walters and is at work for E.J. Blair, proprietor of Modern Barber Shop." Walter was mentioned again in the April 1, 1909 issue of THE NEW ERA, "Walter Strong and family left here about two weeks ago to visit relatives in Prague, Oklahoma. They have decided to locate there." Charles Strong located the family in the 1910 Prague, Oklahoma telephone directory, published March 24, 1910. The residential phone number of Walter Strong was 89. It appears that there were 148 phone numbers assigned to both residents and businesses at the time.

    At the time of the 1910 Federal Census, he and Tessie were living at 13th and Broadway, Creek Township, Prague City, Lincoln County, Oklahoma.

    Tessie died when she was only 29 of what her family called "kidney poisoning." It may have been complication from the birth of her twin sons five months earlier.

    After Tessie died, Walter moved to Iowa City, Wichita County, Texas. Iowa City was west of Wichita Falls, and on the Burlington Northern Rail line. He was living in a boarding house, on Block M, owned by Dale and Vivian Pierce from Iowa. Many of the lodgers in the house worked as Oil Field Laborers. Walter's occupation was listed as Barber. Presumably he had more customers, and could make more money, near Wichita Falls than he could have made by remaining in Lawton. He was listed on the 1920 Federal Census, enumerated in January 1920, as Walter Strawn (sic), Lodger, M W, 38, Wd, Texas, Ohio, Missouri Barber Barber Shop. He was listed immediately following a 19 year old Roy D. West, born in Mississippi, who was a bookkeeper at a bank. This does not appear to be his future step-son, as the age and place of birth are different. Also living in the boarding home with him was 24 year old John R. McLEMORE. In an amazing coincidence, meaning absolutely nothing, Walter's great grandson, Tom STRONG, would some sixty years later marry Roy McLemore's half first cousin, twice removed, Melinda McLEMORE.

    Homer, Viola and Barney were temporarily cared for by a woman they called "Grandma Dominic."  As far as anyone knows, she was not a relative. They can be found in her home, listed as boarders, at the time of the 1920 census.

    Walter's youngest son, Jack, was very ill after his mother died, and was taken in by Walter's Aunt, Rosetta Hall.

    Walter apparently moved back to Oklahoma shortly after the 1920 census, as he an Stella Crouch were married in Grady county in June 1920. Stella had two sons from previous marriages, Roy WEST and Cecil Afton LEWIS.

    Barney remembers going to first grade in Bison, Garfield County, Oklahoma shortly after his father remarried Stella. There is a picture of Viola, Homer, Barney, Cecil and Roy, in the possession of both the Lewis and Strong families, that was taken in Bison. All the boys are in ties except Homer. Cecil obviously borrowed an adult's tie, and Barney remembers his tie being tucked in. Barney also remembers playing baseball in Bison, and scarring his leg badly on a broken snuff jar after one game. Homer recalls also living the city of Waukomis, near Bison.

    Stella and Walter later had another son, Robert Henry Strong. They lived on a farm near Wellston.

    At the time of the 1930 census, the family was living in the 2nd Ward, King Township, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.


    Census Information:

    1910 Census
    Oklahoma, Lincoln County, Prague
    Strong, Walter Head M W 29 M1 4 Texas Ohio Mo Eng Laborer
    Strong, Terrisha WIfe F W 24 M1 4 Nebrasak Aust Aust Eng Mo
    ther of 3 children, 2 of whom were still living
    Strong, Homer son M w 2 Ok Tx Neb
    Strong, Viola dau F w 9/12 Ok Tx Neb
    Strong, Richard (sic) M w 15 S Tx Oh Mo Eng Laborer<---Walter's brother Rolla
    Johns, Mary ??? F w 15 Ark Ark Ark Eng servant

    1920 Census
    Oklahoma, Comanche County, Lawton Township, Ward 5, Precinct 1 310
    Park Avenue #113-125
    Dominick, Agnes Head F W 51 Dv 1872 Nat. England England England
    Dominick, Edna Mae Dau F W 24 Single Texas New York England Clerk Dept Store
    Clift, W.H. Boarder M W 48 Wd Ark Tenn Tenn Gen. Man. City
    Clift, Charles H Boarder M W 16 S Okl Ark TN
    Strong, Homer Boarder M W 11 S Ok Unknown/US Unknown/US
    Strong, Viola Mae Boarder F W 9 S Ok Unknown/US Unknown/US
    Strong, Brunurd Boarder M W 6 S Ok Uknown/US Unknown/US
    Williamson, Maria Boarder F W 29 Illinois Iowa Illinois
    Williamson, Lucille Boarder F W 7 Illinois England Illinois
    Note: Walter was working in Wichita County, Texas, and boarding there. Youngest son Jack was living with his great-aunt, Rosetta Neill in Harmon County, Oklahoma.

    1930 Census
    Oklahoma, Stephens County, Duncan, King Twp, 2nd Ward
    1509 Cedar
    #6-6 Strong, Walter W Head Rents $15 month no radio M W 48 Married age 37 Texas Ohio Texas Barber Barbershop Employed not a veteran
    --------- , Stella  Wife F W 36 Married age 26 Texas Texas Texas
    West, Roy N Step-son M W 19 S Oklahoma TX TX Painter General Building
    Lewis, Cecil E Step-son M W 17 S Oklahoma TX TX Waiter Cafe
    Strong, Robert H son M W 5 S Oklahoma TX TX
    Crouch, Henry J father-in-law M W 73 Widower TX South Carolina TX

    (Medical):artherio sclerostic heart disease (5 years)

    Walter married Terezie Rose "Tessie" Soukup 4 Aug 1907, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma. Terezie (daughter of Frantisek "Frank" M. Soukup and Anna Beznoska) was born 4 Jun 1886, Milligan, Fillmore County, Nebraska; died 3 Jun 1916, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma; was buried , Highland Cemetery, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma. [Group Sheet]

  2. 9.  Terezie Rose "Tessie" SoukupTerezie Rose "Tessie" Soukup was born 4 Jun 1886, Milligan, Fillmore County, Nebraska (daughter of Frantisek "Frank" M. Soukup and Anna Beznoska); died 3 Jun 1916, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma; was buried , Highland Cemetery, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma.


    Her first name may actually have been Tereza/Theresa.

    The information below was acquired by Charles Strong September 1999.  This information is from the Lawton, Oklahoma Genealogy Library located in the public library.

    Article from Lawton Constitution June 5, 1916


    Funeral services for Mrs. Watler (sic) Strong, age 29 years, who died Saturday afternoon at the hospital at 4 o'clock, were held yesterday afternoon at the Beal Heights Presbyterian church, Rev. J. W. Moseley, pastor of the church officiating.  Interment was made in the Lawton cemetery.

    The deceased is survived by a husband and four children, Homer, 8; Viola May 6; Branyard, 2; and Jack, 5 months; a father, Frank Socket (sic) of Junction City; 2 sisters, Mrs. Geo. Errett (sic), of Prague, Okla. And Mrs. Anna Hooker of Tinney, Okla.; four brothers in Milligan, Neb., one at Prague and one at Junction City.


    Married by Oliver R. Land, Minister of the first Congregational Church of Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma Territory. Witnesses were Harry Soukup and Mrs. S.G. Royl. She was listed as Tessa on the marriage license.

    Rhodene Frederick found the following burial records for Highland Cemetery in Lawton:

    Strong, Tessie R., b. 1886, d. Jun 3, 1916, 30y, NE-Frank Sankeans (sic)
    Strong, Walter W., b. 1881, d. Apr 4, 1961, 80y, TN-Ralph Strong

    1. 4. Homer Richard Strong was born 29 Feb 1908, Junction City, Comanche County, Oklahoma; died 19 Sep 1990, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 22 Sep 1990, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.
    2. Viola Mae Strong was born 27 Feb 1910, Prague, Lincoln County, Oklahoma; died 3 Aug 2009, Henrietta, Clay County, Texas; was buried 6 Aug 2009, Fairview Cemetery, Gainsville, Cooke County, Texas.
    3. Barney Frank Strong was born 5 Jan 1914, Prague, Lincoln County, Oklahoma; died 3 Jan 2011, Gainesville, Cooke County, Texas; was buried , Fairview Cemetery, Gainsville, Cooke County, Texas.
    4. Jack Neil Strong was born 25 Dec 1915, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma; died 13 Dec 2003, Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas.
    5. Jake Strong was born 25 Dec 1915, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma; died 25 Dec 1915, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma; was buried , Highland Cemetery, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma.

  3. 10.  Thomas Hamilton Payne, IIThomas Hamilton Payne, II was born 20 Mar 1893, Marlow, Indian Territory (son of Thomas Bunker Payne and Mary T. "Mollie" Hardwick); died 12 Dec 1957, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon; was buried , Willamette National Cemetery, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.


    Thomas's mother died when he was just three months old. His father remarried shortly after he turned six. Sometime after his father's remarriage, Thomas was sent to Decatur, Texas to attend school. His daughter, Anna Laura Payne, believes this school was run by Jesuits. While he was away at school, about six months after his thirteenth birthday, his father died "of a long and lingering illness like consumption."  Before he turned 17, Thomas's stepmother died as well. Within the next ten years, both of his younger half-brothers died tragically. In spite of suffering these many significant losses, Thomas was a gregarious and outgoing person with many friends. He loved to hunt and be in the outdoors.

    Ken Harvey wrote "Tom was musical and learned to play the piano by ear. He seemed, throughout his life, to have had little sense of responsibility or of time.  As a boy he would often disappear and be found, for example, asleep in a field. His father often had to saddle up his horse and go and get him when he was missing from home as a child."

    Harvey continued "In the First World War Tommy served in the 90th Division US Army alongside his double cousin Carl. Tommy used to collect enemy arms after a military action, Carl reported,  even though he was not allowed to keep them. He could be seen staggering across the battlefield weighed down, dropping a weapon from the pile he clutched when he saw another gun he preferred better. He was a marksman who shot left-handed. He had been excused from further army rifle practice in basic training, and allowed to fire holding the gun as he wished, when it was discovered how accurate his aim was."

    Daughter Anna Laura reported that her father did not go oversees until after the Armistice, he was part of the later occupaying forces. She remembers waving to him from the train station as he departed for the service. After he returned from overseas, Thomas resumed his farming and ranching operations in Stephens county.

    Charles Strong reports that Tom lost his land in the late 1920's, after the bottom fell out of the cattle market. He had borrowed money against his ranch from a bank in Wichita, Kansas to raise a herd of cattle. A couple of years later, when they had fully matured, he shipped them by freight train to Chicago to be sold. The market crashed, and the sale of his cattle didn't raise enough even to pay the freight charges that were due on his shipment. To avoid foreclosure, Tom arranged to sell his land holdings to Leonard Ketchum. Ketchum paid him a few thousand dollars in cash, and also assumed to notes that were due on the land, a fair and gracious offer that helped keep Tom on his feet.

    Tom used this stake to homestead for a while in Wyoming, thinking this would give him a fresh start. He thought it a great adventure. Bessie was horrified. Charles Strong recalls that Bessie's initial impression of the Wyoming homesteads was favorable. She admired both the large screened in porches, and long clothes lines. Her admiration turned to stark terror, however, when she learned that the screened in porches were actually set up so the children had somewhere to play away from the rattlesnakes. She also came to realize that long lines between the homes and barns weren't for clothers. They were set up so that you wouldn't get lost and freeze to death going between your barn and your home in the case of a sudden blizzard. At Bessie's urging, they soon moved back to Oklahoma.

    These setbacks eventually became too much for Tom. One day he simply disappeared, leaving Bessie and his children behind. Unbeknownst to them, he moved to California. This is how he was listed at the time of the 1930 Federal Census:

    California, Los Angeles, Signal Hill, ED 1509
    Taylor, Joseph A Hd M W 40 M @ 25 Calif Ill Ind Assistant Operator Gasoline Plow
    Taylor, Mary A Wife F W 45 M @ 30 NY NY Ireland
    Crossen, Albert Lodger M W 22 S Cal Cal Iowa  Rotary Helper
    Stamper,  Edgar A Lodger M W 34 S Oklahoma Tenn Iowa Rotary Helper Garlington, Robert Lodger M W 35 D Alabama Georgia Alabama Rotary Helper Price, Sterling Lodger M W 49 M California Missouri Missouri Pumper Harris, Abbot B Lodger M W 31 D Pennsylvania Ireland Nebraska Promoter O&G
    PAYNE, THOMAS Lodger M W 37 M @ age 20 Ok Missouri Ok Rotary Helper

    The occupations of the lodgers in both the Taylor lodging home, and in the homes of their immediate neighbors, made it clear he was part of the booming oil and gas industry in California. In 1900, the state of California produced 4 million barrels. By 1910, this had jumped to 77 million barrels. In the 1920's three new major fields were discovered in rapid succession - Huntington Beach (1920), Santa Fe Springs (1921), and the biggest of them all, the Signal Hill, where Thomas lived. By April 1922, only 10 months after completion of the discovery well, Signal Hill was covered with 108 wells, producing 14,000 barrels daily. By the fall of 1923, 259,000 barrels of crude was being produced every day from nearly 300 wells. Signal Hill was the biggest field the already productive Southern California region had ever seen....this made California the nation's number-one producing state, and in 1923, California was the source of one-quarter of the world's entire output of oil!


    Tom appeared to be in the Long Beach area for well over a decade. In August, 1943, he filed a document with the Long Beach, California Selective Service board. It was a request for permission to depart the United States to visit the country of Alaska, which was not yet a state. He was in the employ of Guy F. Atkinson Co of San Francisco, a heavy construction company. As the nature of his business was listed as "confidential," it is likely he was involved in a civil engineering project in Alaska related to the war effort.

    Back home in Oklahoma, in September 1950, his family had him declared legally dead so they could probate his estate and apply for benefits based on his enrollement in the Chickasaw tribe. Daughter Lois Marie Payne was named executor. Because they had not heard from him in over twenty years, they had no idea if he was still living.

    Tom remained in the Pacific Northwest after the second World War, working as a civil servant at various Air Force Bases in and around Alaska. When he became terminally ill, the Red Cross reconnected Tom and his family in Oklahoma, via letters, prior to his death.

    On the Standard Certificate of Death, State of Oregon, Thomas H. Payne is shown as having died at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon on December 12, 1957. His usual residence is shown as Palmer, Alaska, and his usual occupation is shown as Laborer. It appears that his marital status was subject to some question. It looks as if the "divorced" box was originally checked, and then scribbled over. The "married" box is checked, and the name of his spouse is shown as Mrs. Bessie Payne. The date of birth is given as March 20, 1893, and his birthplace is shown as Marlow, Oklahoma. Mother and Father are shown as "unknown." It is noted that he was a Veteran of World War I, and that the information on the death certificate was taken from his VA records. The certificate was signed by W.A Haug, MD, Asst. Pathologist. The funeral director was A.J. Rose and Son of Portland, and the cemetery or crematorium being Willamette National Cemetery in Portland, Oregon. A telegraph regarding his death was sent the next day to Anna Laura Strong in Duncan.

    His gravesite information is below:

    DATE OF BIRTH: 03/20/1893
    DATE OF DEATH: 12/12/1957

    11800 SE MT. SCOTT BOULEVARD PORTLAND, OR 97266 (503) 273-5250

    Anna Laura Strong also received a letter from Mrs. Earle W. Barry, Star Route, Palmer, Alaska some eight months after her father died. She had apparently written Mrs. Barry regarding some trouble they were having in regards to an insurance settlement. Mrs. Barry informed her that she had "never heard him mention a divorce at any time and I believe I would have heard tell about it some time when he was under the influence of liquor. He was in California before he came to Alaska. The boys met him in Amchitka Island that was an Army base, the last was Ladd Field...near Fairbank, before that he was (at) Eidson Base. I am sending some papers that were laying around. Hope they will help you. Tom was a good man. His worst enemy was liquor."

    Among Tom's personal effects that were returned to his family were his wallet and four photographs: two of the photos were of co-workers, Lee H. Talley of Iowa and Richard Neal of Missouri; one photo of Tom himself in outdoor gear; and a studio portrait of "Marie and Midge." Richard Neal inscribed his photo, taken at Amchitka Base Headquarters,  "To a very good Pal from a Boiler house cook." Marie  inscribed her portrait, dated 1944, as well, saying that although it was "not a good picture" of either her or Midge, she thought Tom might wish to cut it down to fit his wallet. He chose to keep it intact.

    His brown Norwegian Cowhide wallet contained several money order receipts, a blank check from the First National Bank of Fairbanks, receipts for funds he received as a VA patient in Oregon (claim #1431661), his 1956-1957 Alaska Resident Hunting License, an National Rifle Association of America Membership card, a Veterans of Foreign Wars Ballard Post 3063 card, a membership card from the Ladd AFB Civilian Club of Fairbanks, his U.S. Civil Service Commission retirement card dated May 6, 1957 (#CSA-466-659), his union card from the National Federation of Federal Employees Local 899, a receipt for a .22 caliber rifle, and a business card from the Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, based in Philadelphia. On the back of this card  was written "Benjamin Constant, Amazona Brasil, S.A.".

    A few pieces of correspondence were returned as well. Among these were his 1943 permit to leave the US for Alaska; a 1948 letter from the IRS--mailed to Tom in Seattle--regarding a $32 refund on the 1946 taxes; a "Notification of Personnel Action from Ladd AFB," dated July 8, 1955, showing Tom's change in title from Stationary Boiler Fireman to Heating Equipment Fireman. His grade, WB-54-02-09, and his salary ($2.94 per hour) remained unchanged. Also saved  were his separation from duty papers dated 20 May 1957. It showed that he was retiring due to disability, and that his permanent home address would be in care of Earl W. Barry of Palmer, Alaska. A prescription for various drugs to treat his bronchogenic carcinoma was included as well, signed by E. Dank, Capt. USAF, of Todd AFB. He also saved his acceptance as a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Ironically, his VFW Life Member card (No. 4427), also in his effects, was dated 1-1-1958, two weeks after his death.

    These effects, as meager as they seem, were treasured by his daughters, and remained in 2005 in the position of his granddaughter, Lynn (Payne) Moroney of Oklahoma.

    He was 1/32 Indian by blood through his mother. He appears as No. 3686 upon the "lists prepared by the Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes under the Act of Congress approved July 1, 1902 (32 Stat., 641), of persons entiled to enrollment as citizens by blood of the Chickasaw Nation and approved by the Secretary of the Interior December 12, 1902". Because of this, he was first alloted land when he was only eleven years old in Tishomingo, Indian Territory on July 9, 1904, Section 29, Town IN, Range 5W, 160 acres in total with a value of $1,040.  (Cert # 8801, Cert 11253).

    Thomas married Bessie Bird Gentry 27 Dec 1912, Stephens County, Oklahoma. Bessie (daughter of James Edwin Gentry and Elzada Trawick) was born 14 Dec 1894, Alma, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory; died 3 May 1958, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma; was buried , Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma. [Group Sheet]

  4. 11.  Bessie Bird GentryBessie Bird Gentry was born 14 Dec 1894, Alma, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory (daughter of James Edwin Gentry and Elzada Trawick); died 3 May 1958, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma; was buried , Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.


    When Bessie's husband vanished in the late 1920's, she was left as the sole supporter of their five children. She worked as a housekeeper and seamstress for various families in Duncan, including the Ederington's, who owned the local service station, and for the parish priest. She also had to rely on her and Tom's family for financial assistance. One person who was especially helpful was Tom's first cousin, Annie O'Neill Sparks. Annie was able to help Bessie enroll her older children in nearby Catholic Boarding Academies. These academies had been set up to service the needs of  impoverished Native American children. But because Tom was enrolled in the Chickasaw Nation, and Annie was well known in her parish, she was able to help make this happen. Patty Gay, the youngest child, remained with her mother. She was a sickly child, with a congenetial heart defect that led to her early death.

    Lynn Moroney told Charles that although Bessie received help from some of her kin, at times was resentful of being the object of their charity. Lynn also related a story that her mother Fay had told her, concerning a different type of charity. Bessie and her children lived for a while in a duplex in Duncan. This duplex had adjoining closets which actually allowed you access to your neighbors living quarters. Bessie's neighbor explained it would be of great service to her if Bessie could "keep her beans from burning" while she was at work each day. She would have a large pot of beans or stew simmering on the stove all day long, and each day Bessie would take one of her children through the closet with her "to stir the beans."  She would give the child a small sample of the hot food every time they helped her to stir them, and admonish them to keep this a secret from the other children. The neighbor was fully aware of this, and both she and Bessie kept up the pretense that it was Bessie helping her, and that it wasn't the other way around. The girls compared stories years later, and were each surprised they weren't the only one whose meager lunch was supplemented by hot beans or stew.

    After her daughters were grown, Bessie lived with each of them for a time. Charles recalls when she lived with his family in Duncan. He recalls that she was shy to the point of being reculsive, and fearful of many things, most especially of inclement weather. Whenever a storm even threatened, Charles was dispatched to take her to the storm celler, and to remain with her until it was all clear. His younger brother Bill soon discovered Bessie's almost obsessive attention to detail, and took delight in secretly tormenting her. He would turn the telephone in the wrong direction, or slightly tilt pictures and doilies in their home. Bessie would immediately fix things back to way they should be. When she would walk through the room again a few hours later, she would be upset to find everything slightly out of order again, and worriedly set about put things back in order.

    Charles Strong reports that as a youngster, he on occasion thought he heard a Payne relation let slip a reference to how "Uncle Tommy" was doing, and immediately change the subject when they realized he was in the room. He suspects that Tom may have been in touch with one of more of his relations back home. If this was so, however, no one shared this information with Bessie or her daughters.

    Bessie had an ulcer on her leg that never healed, and after several unsuccessful skin grafts she eventually had to have it amputated, and was give a wooden prosthetic. Her grandchildren were both scared and fascinated by the leg, and hid it from Bessie occasionally to tease her. Charles heard that the leg infection started when she was a young girl, helping her parents in the fields. She would scratch mosquito bites until her legs were raw and ragged. One of the sores became infected with ragweed, and never properly healed. Charles is not sure as to the veracity of this story, and suspects that a genetic skin condition may have contributed to this. He and several of his children and grandchildren also suffer from severe skin allergies which may be related.


    A native of Alma, Mrs. Bessie Payne, 63, died in a local hospital early Saturday after a two week illness, following a stroke. She had lived in Oklahoma City the past 15 years. Funeral was in the Church of the Assumption Monday morning with Rev. Ferdinand Strasser officiating. Rosary was in Grantham Funeral Home Chapel Sunday afternoon. Burial was in Duncan Cemetery. Survivors include three daughters, Mrs. Homer Strong, 1806 Birch, and Mrs. Fay Pierce and Mrs. Jim Hanna, both of Oklahoma City; a son, Thomas of Newport Beach, California; two sisters, Mrs. Richard Meeks, 704 No. 2nd, and Mrs. T.M. Goodwin, Belle, California. Five brothers, Al Gentry, 305 South 7th; Delbert Gentry, 516 Pine; Elmer Gentry, west of Duncan; Jess Gentry, Duncan and Lloyd Gentry, Oklahoma City and 13 grandchildren. Bearers were Lucien Haas, I. G. Imming, L.W. Jennings, Eldon Pickrell, Louis Scott and Robert Walter.

    (Research):Census Information:

    1930 census Stephens Co. OK
    King Twp. Duncan city, ED 69-4 Sheet 19A 17 No. 7th - Hot
    el 396/435C

    Payne, Bessie B., FW 35 M 18 OK TX TX
    Patty G., dau. FW 2 2/12 S OK OK OK


    Vol. 3, Stephens County Marriage Book: , Lic. # 101
         Thomas H. Payne, 19 to Bessie Gentry, 18 married  12-27-1912

    Because of his outgoing nature, it must have come as a surprise to some when Tom Payne and Bessie Gentry were married a few weeks after her 18th birthday. Bessie was timid and shy by nature, and much happier in town than in the outdoors.  They had five children in fairly short order, and times were tough in Oklahoma during the dust bowl. Charles Strong, Bessie's oldest grandson, also remembers that Bessie had very high standards, which her husband found hard to live up to. She was a thorough and dedicated housekeeper, and was almost obsessive about things being neat and tidy at all times. Charles recalled a story one of Bessie's brothers related to him about dropping by one afternoon for a visit. Bessie had just mopped, and refused to let him in, not wanting her immaculate floors stepped on.

    1. 5. Anna Laura Payne was born 23 Oct 1913, Arthur, Parks Township, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was christened 23 Dec 1922, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 15 Sep 2004, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 18 Sep 2004, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.
    2. Dora Fay Payne was born 30 Jan 1915, Alma, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 7 Mar 2002, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma; was buried , Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.
    3. Thomas Hardrick Payne was born 17 Jan 1917, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 12 Apr 1997, Shasta County, California.
    4. Lois Marie Payne was born 10 Feb 1920, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; died 20 Nov 2013, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.
    5. Patricia Gabriela "Patty Gay" Payne was born 8 Feb 1928, Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma; died 2 Mar 1936, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma; was buried 4 Mar 1936, Duncan Memorial Cemetery, Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma.

  5. 12.  Henry David McGuireHenry David McGuire was born 19 Jan 1868, Lexington, Lauderdale County, Alabama (son of Frederick Hugh McGuire and Simanthy "Cynthie" Elizabeth Porter); died 3 Feb 1944, Trail, Dewey County, Oklahoma; was buried , Trail Cemetery, Dewey County, Oklahoma.


    This brief biography of Henry David McGuire was excerpted from a longer biography written by Keith David McGuire, Jr. titled "Henry David McGuire 1868-1944"

    Henry was an apprentice for a stone mason in Lexington, Alabama, moving to Kansas at the age of sixteen when the stone mason relocated his business operation there. It was in Kansas that Henry learned the trades of Wagon/Carriage Builder and Blacksmith, during his four year apprenticeship with a Master Craftsman. After his apprenticeship, he started his own blacksmith shop: initially in Lawrence, Kansas, relocating to Olivet, Kansas, and then to Osage City, Kansas. This is where he met Anna Mary "Mamie" Kuykendall.

    Their first two children were born in Osage City, while their four youngest were born at the Red Creek Farm in western Dewey County, Oklahoma. The farm in Red Creek was 160 acres, located In Dewey County three miles west of Trail on Red Creek which drained into the South Canadian River located two miles north of the homestead. The patent to the land was obtained 22 May 1906. The family originally lived in a two room half dugout with mortar walls and a wood shingled roof that had been built into a hillside to provide ten foot high back walls with twelve foot wide rooms. Henry and two neighbors assisted each other in building these dugouts for each family. While they were being built, the families lived in tents and covered wagons. Later the family moved in a wood frame farmhouse constructed on the property. They briefly moved to Trail were Henry worked as a blacksmith, and then back to the farm.

    The young family moved from the farm to the city of Trail, which had been relocated two miles northwest to have a railroad depot, after the Wichita Falls & Northwest Railroad branch line was completed. Here Henry again worked as a blacksmith. In 1912 they purchased property in Block 15 located on the south side of Broadway between 1rst and Main streets. Here they built a brick building to house the blacksmith shop, public bath facilities, and their living quarters.

    When the economy of Trail could no longer support the family, Henry and his sons travelled throughout the country to find work. In the summer of 1913, Henry and his oldest son Percy even spent three months working in Canada, operating a clear water pump for a coal mine on the Mackenzie River. Henry sold his original homestead to David Hale on 13 February 1915, but retained the building that housed his shop and living quarters in Trail.

    During the next several years, Henry farmed in central Louisiana, worked as a blacksmith in Kansas, worked in the oil fields of Oklahoma, and farmed in southern Tennessee, near Florence, Alabama. Mamie remained in Trail with the younger children during most of theses sojurns. Older sons Elvis and Cecil helped their father with the Tennessee farm for awhile.  In 1921, Henry returned home to Trail. Soon afterwords, Henry and Mamie divorced. Henry moved to Chicago to work, and Mamie and her daughters lived for a time with her son Percy and then with son Elvis. Later she and the children relocated to Illinois as well. Here she and Henry were remarried in 1926. The family moved back briefly to Alabama, then to nevada, and finally returned to Oklahoma, where they settled in Camargo, on the north side of the South Canadian River on State Highway 34. Here they operated a restaurant that was named the "Nickle Inn," named for the price of the individual servings or hamburgers, chili, and pie.

    After Mamie's death, Henry remarried and returned to Trail, to the building that had served as his blacksmith workshop and home years before.

    Henry's death certificate showed his parents as Frederick H. McGuire, born in Virginia (sic) and Centhy Porter, born in Alabama. In the space for cause of death, the following was written: "This man was found dead at his home about 3 days after his death. Supposedly died of internal hemmorrage after violent exertion."  The physician who signed the certificate was W.E. Saba, M.D. of Leedy, Oklahoma. The informant was Keith McGuire of Camargo Oklahoma. Burial was at Leedy as well.


    Henry David McGuire, son of Frederick Hugh and Cinthey Elizabeth McGuire, was born Jan 19, 1868 at Lexington, Alabama, and died February 3, 1944 at his home in Trail, Oklahoma.

    Mr. McGuire was united in marriage to Anna Mary Kuykendall of Osage City, Kansas in 1893, who preceded him in death in 1934. Mr. McGuire was remarried in 1940 to Mrs. Lona Chill of Camargo.

    Mr. McGuire homesteaded in Oklahoma, December 15, 1898 and made his home here until his death.

    Besides his wife, Mr. McGuire is survived by his six children: Percy K. McGuire of Boulder City, Nev.; Cecil E. McGuire of Douglas, Ariz.; Elvis McGuire of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Keith McGuire of Camargo; Ellen McGuire of Caliente, Nev., and Mrs. Bert Hyde of Batavia, Ill., also elevn grandchildren, one great-grandchild, and a host of friends.


    Census Listings:

    1910 Census
    Oklahoma, Dewey County, Trail Twp
    Enumerated 9 and 10 May 1910
    SD 2 ED 133 Sheet 11B
    McGuire, Henry D Head M W 42 M 17 Ala Ala US Farmer
    McGuire, Maymoe Wf F W 40 M 17 5/5 Mo Ill Ill
    McGuire, Persey Son M W 17 S Ks Ala Mo Farm hand
    McGuire, Cecil Son M W 13 S Ks Ala Mo
    McGuire, Elvis Son M W 9 S Ok Ala Mo
    McGuire, Keith Son M W 5 S Ok Ala Mo
    McGuire, Ellen Dtr F W 2 S Ok Ala Mo

    1920 Census
    Oklahoma, Dewey County, Trail Twp
    Enumerated 6 Jan 1920
    SD 7 ED 209 Sheet 10A
    McGuire, Henry Head M W 42 M Ala SC SC Merchant Retail Grocery
    McGuire, Mamie Wf F W 49 M Mo Ill Ill
    McGuire, Percy K Son M W 25 S Ks Ala Mo Job Work
    McGuire, Elvis H Son M W 18 S Ok Ala Mo Laborer Farm
    McGuire, Keith D Don M W 14 S Ok Ala Mo
    McGuire, Ellen B Dtr F W 11 S Ok Ala Mo
    McGuire, Hildred M Dtr F W 9 S Ok Ala Mo

    1930 Census
    Oklahoma, Dewey County, Camargo Twp
    Enumerated April 12, 1930
    ED 22-3 SD 1 Sheet 2A Stamped 138
    McGuire, Henry Head O 1000 M W 65 M 26 Ala US US Blacksmith Blacksmith Shop
    McGuire, Mamie Wf F W 59 M 23 Mo Ill Ill

    Henry married Anna Mary "Mamie" Kuykendall 4 Dec 1893, Lyndon, Osage County, Kansas; divorced Yes, date unknown. Anna (daughter of Franklin Kuykendall and Mary Jane Elliott) was born 12 May 1870, Missouri; died 4 Sep 1934, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma; was buried 5 Sep 1934, Trail Cemetery, Dewey County, Oklahoma. [Group Sheet]

  6. 13.  Anna Mary "Mamie" KuykendallAnna Mary "Mamie" Kuykendall was born 12 May 1870, Missouri (daughter of Franklin Kuykendall and Mary Jane Elliott); died 4 Sep 1934, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma; was buried 5 Sep 1934, Trail Cemetery, Dewey County, Oklahoma.


    (Medical):In failing health for two years prior to death, caused by stomach trouble. Attended to by Mrs. Monroe, a Christian Science practioner.


    It appears that they were seperated as of the publication of HISTORY OF THE KUYKENDALL FAMILY SINCE ITS SETTLEMENT IN DUTCH NEW YORK as she was listed as living in Osage City, Kansas and her husband and children were shown as living in Trail, Oklahoma

    1. Percival Kuykendall McGuire was born 18 May 1894, Osage City, Osage County, Kansas; died 18 Apr 1946, Yukon, Canadian County, Oklahoma.
    2. Cecil Elliott McGuire was born 2 Jul 1896, Osage City, Osage County, Kansas; died 18 Oct 1983, Tempe, Maricopa County, Arizona.
    3. Elvis Henry McGuire was born 4 Feb 1901, Red Creek Farm, Dewey County, Oklahoma; died Dec 1994, Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.
    4. 6. Keith David McGuire, Sr. was born 7 May 1905, Red Creek Farm, Dewey County, Oklahoma; died 4 Jan 1948, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma; was buried , Camargo (Westside) Cemetery, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma.
    5. Ellen Blanche McGuire was born 6 Feb 1908, Red Creek Farm, Dewey County, Oklahoma; died 2 Apr 1970, Payson, Utah County, Utah; was buried , Payson City Cemetery, Payson, Utah County, Utah.
    6. Hildred "Hilly" Mamie McGuire was born 23 Nov 1910, Red Creek Farm, Dewey County, Oklahoma; died 14 Jun 1983, Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.

  7. 14.  John Dominic MorlasJohn Dominic Morlas was born 25 Aug 1865, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana (son of Jean-Marie Morlas and Caroline Maria Holmes); died 14 Feb 1923, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.


    Owner of La Bella Creole Dairy. Bennie Zahn wrote, in the January 9, 2000 issue of THE TIMES-PICAYUNE (Living, Section E, page 7), that "The property was originally acquired in the late 1800s by John Morlas who made the purchase with silver dollar coins collected from wealthy customers on his milk route. The family legend is, that whenever he was given a silver dollar in payment for milk and cream, he tossed it onto the top of the armoire in his bedroom. When this property which adjoined the Tulane (University) tract was put on the market, he gathered all of the silver coins, counted them and found that he had $8,000, enough to buy the property. After his death in 1923, his wife, Lucine Roquevert Morlas, sold part of the tract, about 3,800 feet long with a depth varying from 100 to 140 feet, for $100,000 for the then proposed St. Vincent Infant Asylum. Within a year, the property was resold for $165,000 to men who had successful experience in local developement and who started immediately to beautify the ground. Today the property is called Versailles Boulevard and extends from Claiborne Avenue to Fontainebleau Drive."

    John married Lucine Roquevert 28 May 1888, St. Stephen's Church, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana. Lucine (daughter of Jean Louis Roquevert and Blazine Pene) was born 28 Jan 1869, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 16 Feb 1946, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana. [Group Sheet]

  8. 15.  Lucine RoquevertLucine Roquevert was born 28 Jan 1869, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana (daughter of Jean Louis Roquevert and Blazine Pene); died 16 Feb 1946, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.


    (Research):An mtDNA sample supplied a direct female descendant of Lucine (a child of Pat McGuire, the daughter of Josephine Morlas), was analyzed by FamilyTreeDNA in Houston. Their analysis showed the following Haplogroup assignment, along with the following differences from the Cambridge Reference Sequence.

    HVR1 Haplogroup
    HVR1 differences
    from CRS

    The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup K is found through Europe, and contains multiple closely related lineages indicating a recent population expansion. The origin of haplogroup K dates to approximately 16,000 years ago, and it has been suggested that individuals with this haplogroup took part in the pre-Neolithic expansion following the Last Glacial Maximum. William Hurst, on his Haplogroup K Website, writes that "Katrine," the founding mother of mitochondrial DNA haplogroup K, was one of the "Seven Daughters of Eve" as listed in the 2001 book of that title by Bryan Sykes. A lot of happened since 2001, but the book is still valuable.

    Katrine lived about 16,000 years ago. Perhaps the oldest known K descendant was Oetzi the Iceman whose frozen body was discovered in the Alps in 1991. Estimated at 5000 years old, the Iceman proved to have the basic mutations for a K: 16224C and 16320C. Every K is a cousin of Oetzi.

    1. Leontine Josephine Morlas was born 19 Jan 1889, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 20 Feb 1972, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    2. John Louis "Bebe" Morlas, Sr. was born 22 Jan 1891, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 27 Nov 1963, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    3. Clothilde Marie Morlas was born 27 Dec 1893, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 2 Oct 1938, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    4. Estelle Augustine Morlas was born 12 Oct 1895, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 6 Jan 1976, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    5. Lucine "Lucille" Genevieve Morlas was born 20 Aug 1897, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 24 Dec 1969, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    6. Louis August Morlas was born 17 Apr 1899, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 27 May 1964, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    7. Eugenia "Jenny" Catharine Margaret Morlas was born 15 Jan 1900, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 28 Dec 1978, Bay Saint Louis, Hancock County, Mississippi; was buried , Lake Lawn Park Cemetery, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    8. Juliet Theresa Morlas was born 20 Dec 1901, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 4 Feb 1985, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , St. Patricks #3, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    9. Leon Joseph Morlas was born 19 Oct 1903, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 6 May 1976, Gulfport, Harrison County, Mississippi; was buried , Live Oak Cemetery, Pass Christian, Harrison County, Mississippi.
    10. 7. Josephine Marguerite Morlas was born 13 Apr 1905, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 6 Sep 1983, McAlester, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma; was buried , Camargo (Westside) Cemetery, Camargo, Dewey County, Oklahoma.
    11. Leopold "Paul" Victor Morlas was born 14 Nov 1907, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 21 Feb 1971, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    12. Vivian Anna Morlas was born 22 Mar 1909, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 29 May 2000, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Metairie Cemetery (Lake Lawn Metairie), New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
    13. Eleanor Cecelia Morlas was born 17 Apr 1911, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; died 3 Feb 1986, Jefferson, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; was buried , Garden Of Memories, Metairie, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.